Need More USB Port

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by msener, Jan 26, 2015.

1. msener

msener New Member

Hi everyone,

I need more USB port.
    If I plug usb hub, does it work?

I plug mouse, keyboard, joystick and usb camera.

Does it work?
    Can you help me?

2. fetcher

fetcher Member

Yes, you can add a hub. The Udoo includes one integrated hub chip (Microchip USB2514) to fan out the i.MX6 CPU's main host controller to the varoius ports provided, so there's definitely hub support in the default kernels, and cascading another external one is no problem.

Note that there are 5 USB ports already on the board, not counting the special purpose serial-console one at CN6:
    - 2 in back with standard type-A connectors
    - A third one on the small white-plastic header J24, which only needs an adapter harness (included with official accessory kit, I believe)
    - The one the wireless module is plugged into at position J3-- if you don't need 802.11, you can unplug this and use it as a 4th port. Its pinout is offset by one from J24, but otherwise identical
    - USB OTG bus, on the microUSB connector at CN3 -- in addition to the common OTG adapter dongle you might use with a phone or tablet, this requires a Linux kernel patch to put it in HOST mode. See my post at http://www.udoo.org/forum/post11518.html#p11518

CN3 is on an independent i.MX6 controller all by itself, with its own IRQ, etc. which may be beneficial for high-bandwidth devices, like hard drives, video output adapters or 4G/LTE cellular modems