No device found on ttymxc3

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by rufty, Nov 15, 2014.

1. rufty

rufty New Member

Well, I've just spent a couple of hours tearing my hair out, futzing about with J18, J22 and J16. bossac, stty and everything. But I kept getting "No device found on ttymxc3"
    Solution? Don't try to program the embedded Arduino Due when it's got a shield plugged in that's tying up the serial pins...

2. delba

delba Administrator Staff Member

What OS are you using?

3. lisardo

lisardo New Member

Hi!!

I want to migrate a Due+Raspi application to udoo platform.

But I'm fighting with the same problem of rufty...

I bought an udoo quad and it's running with Arch linux OS with the last upgrade (today, january 7th, 2015).

With the Arduino IDE 1.5.8, including boosac and cygwin1.dll, running in my laptop pc (windows 8.1), I download a sketch in ARM processor with J18 unpluged, and after that, receive messages in the serial monitor from my sketch.

Plugging the J18 the serial monitor of arduino IDE show debug message from udoo and I don´t see any message from my sketch. I think this is a normal operation.

However, from linux console of arch linux in the udoo, I don't find ttymxc3. "screen /dev/ttymxc3 115200" return me "can not exec /dev/ttymxc3, file or directory don't exist"

With the command "ls /dev/ttymxc*" only show "/dev/ttymxc1 and no more.

With the command "ls /dev/ttyUSB*" don't show anything.

Then, I can not communicate the sketch with my c++ application running on iMX processor.

So, what am I doing wrong?.

Thanks for your kindness

(note: if I want to download another scketch, I must to plug the J22 and J16).

4. naru95

naru95 New Member

Hey lisardo,

I found out that the kernel that comes with the general ARMv7 Arch linux distro doesn't include support for the GPIOs, i.Mx6 <==> SAM3X UART or frankly, any UDOO specific hardware functions.

I started a thread in the archlinux | ARM Forum - http://archlinuxarm.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=8347 (not that it's helping though :cry: ) and have been looking into this. Looks like we're going to have to compile a kernel with the GPIO and UART (and other functions like I2C, SPI etc. if needed - but I want to keep it minimalistic)

I found some kernel sources:
    • https://github.com/patrykk/linux-udoo [3.17.x and 3.18.x] << I was able to get the 3.17.7 mod to compile but I get a kernel panic when trying to boot. The 3.18.2 version doesn't even compile. :?

If I'm able to compile a kernel and get my mxc3 port and GPIOs working, I can make an image of my system for you but atm, we're probably on the same page.

Any chance you have experience with kernel compilation? :)