No way to install Distro, SD MIcro does not seem to work.

Discussion in 'UDOO X86' started by Geert Anthonis, Apr 16, 2017.

1. Geert Anthonis

Geert Anthonis New Member

I am so disappointed. After waiting like what seems forever the UDOOx86 Advanced arrived. Now 2 days on it is clear that all the promises made by the UDOO team are way of the mark.

To begin with I have 2 sd cards with different Linux distros installed (Raspian and Kano) that work flawlessly on a Rasperry Pi 2 and 3. My Linux Mint 18 and Windows 10 Laptop can read those cards without problem. Still the UDOOx86 keeps claiming that there is no even a card in the SD micro reader. That makes no sense. I bought a brand new 64 GB SanDisk Extreme card and following the chaotic instructions on the UDOO website copied the UBUNTU distro on it. Still Nada, Nothing, Ziltz,
    At this point I am worried that the SD Micro drive might be faulty or not working.

I was also looking where to get the e.MMC board that is installed in the Getting started video. From those Videos it is not if all the addons are necessary or not for the UDOOx86 Advanced to work. According to my pledge I should have e.MMC 8 GB. Where is it? already build into the board? I did not get a separate board that I can add to the back of the board. So where are my 8GB eMMC?

Basically I am at a loss of what I am supposed to have and what it looks like, Following the procedure set forward in the videos for the UDOOx86 are not at all clear.

So as it is not even sure what to ask or where to go now, hence this post.

There are no clear instructions on how to booth directly from a micro SD card, or are there? In any case my board lights up a screen just to inform me there is nothing the micro SD port. Which bring me back to the beginning.

2. Laura

Laura UDOOer

There's a firmware update forthcoming to solve a read-only issue with certain SD card types. Not sure if that issue is behind your card not being detected. I suggest opening a support ticket @ http://www.udoo.org/customer-care/

The eMMC is embedded on all three Kickstarter base models (BASIC, ADVANCED, ULTRA).

3. Geert Anthonis

Geert Anthonis New Member

Thank you very much for your reply. I will definitely contact support. It keeps saying that no bootable media is found even though I know for a fact the micro sd card has either an image file or bootable working version of Linux on it. So it seems not to be a Read only problem more a can't read problem.

As for the eMMC it would be nice if things like that are made clear in the introduction video. It would take away the confusion.

4. mkopack

mkopack Member

Regardless, the distros you're listing will NOT work! Those are for Raspberry Pi and ARM CPU architecture. This is an x86 board - you need to be using x86 based Linux distributions such as Ubuntu x64 or Debian...

Also, you need to use the imaging tool to write the install ISO image onto a bootable media and then plug that and your desired target media both into the Udoo and boot, let the bootable installer run and tell it to install to the target media.

This thing is more like a full PC, It's not like a RasPi.

5. Jay Johnson

Jay Johnson New Member

^^THIS is the more accurate response to the identified problem. I've seen no indicators or communications that hint or would lead one to believe that UDOO_x86 would boot to Raspbian or Raspberry Pi pre-installed images. Would it be nice? Certainly, I even attempted it myself. But when I thought about it, it didn't make sense for the reason @mkopack stated, they are different architectures ARM vs x86.

6. Laura

Laura UDOOer

Correct, x86 and ARM (RISC) are different incompatible architectures. Software has to be specifically designed for each one, for example, to install Android you need to use the version from the x86 project - http://www.android-x86.org/

For some reason, my mind skipped over the parts where the user mentioned their RasPi and the ARM based operating systems :confused: Though they also mentioned they followed the getting started instructions for Ubuntu, which would have guided them through installation of the x86 version.

7. mkopack

mkopack Member

Yeah, chances are they were following the instructions, but were trying to use their RasPi images instead of the Ubuntu image and things just went downhill from there...

Having picked up a Asus TinkerBoard over the weekend, I suspect that would have been a better solution for what the OP was looking for, although that too can't run RasPi images (although it *IS* ARM based and exactly the same form-factor as the Pi). Different hardware = different disk image with different kernel patches... Unfortunate too because the Tinkerboard is certainly faster than a Pi 3 for only marginally more money, and it would be nice to be able to have all the same software on it as you get with the default Pi Raspian image...