Non-bulk replacement GWF-3M08 wifi modules!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by cmac49, Jan 16, 2015.

1. cmac49

cmac49 New Member

For those looking to purchase a replacement wifi module for UDOO dual/quad, I found a non-bulk listing (2 per order) on Aliexpress for the GWF-3M08 wireless module. Everything else I've found on this particular module had a 500 minimum order requirement. Based on the item description, this should be a direct replacement, just make sure you order the 5V variant. These even have IPEX Sockets for plugging in an external antenna.

Here's the link: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/High...SB-Module-RT5370-WIFI-Modules/1437878197.html

I placed an order already (processing/shipping takes a month), so I'll update this thread with my findings when I receive the items.

2. orfeus

orfeus New Member

Nice man,

will you use IPEX-SMA pigtail and external SMA antenna?

Im waiting for your feedback !

Good luck

3. cmac49

cmac49 New Member

Yes, that's the plan! The added connector is actually why I decided to place an order. Plus, I already have the antenna and adapter cable needed. ;)

4. orfeus

orfeus New Member

Very nice! :)

You can do some photo story, i think lot of Udooers has problem with wifi signal strength, and soldering antenna directly on wifi modul isnt best idea.

Lot of virtual karma will come to you :)

5. cmac49

cmac49 New Member

The replacement wifi module finally arrived this week! A visual inspection pretty much confirmed that it was the same model as the original. No modifications were necessary to install and I can confirm that this module works perfectly and the signal range is definitely improve with an added antenna connected to the uf.l connector on the module. (no more ghetto soldering hack!) :D

Note: It doesn't come with any pin headers and the pitch (pin spacing) of the pins is smaller than the common 2.54mm pitch pins found on Arduino or Rasp Pi products.

The pin headers needed for this module have 2.00mm pitch with 3.61mm contact mating length Here's the Digikey part number:
    http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/NRPN071PAEN-RC/S5800-07-ND/804920

Also, the foam adhesive tape on the original module is not salvageable, so you can either use hot glue or 3M adhesive foam tape to secure it to the board.

Lastly, pictures:
    https://imgur.com/a/POfuo

6. Pikmin

Pikmin New Member

That's pretty cool, but way too expensive :) I wonder if I could just buy the IPEX MHF 20279-001E-01 and solder it on the existing WiFi card

7. sirrab

sirrab UDOOer

I did, but from another Wi-Fi module that was junked from work. Remove the tiny resistor that is there, solder your new connector in place, connect your antennae.

8. chiefwigms

chiefwigms New Member

how did you guys orient the u.fl connector when you desoldered the resistor?
    from this post: http://www.udoo.org/tutorial/how-to-mod-your-udoo-to-improve-wi-fi-performances/
    it looks like they soldered ground to the middle pin and the antenna to the left trace (if you're reading M08-V1.3).

From the picture you guys posted above, it looks like the antenna goes in middle, and the ground shield is on the sides

9. sirrab

sirrab UDOOer

Looks like the UDOO version is backwards. Antenna should go in the middle, and shield on the side.