Official OS for Testing

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DracoLlasa, Dec 17, 2013.

1. DracoLlasa

DracoLlasa UDOOer

Hey UDOO Team,
    Im going to be reviewing and continuing a lot of my testing results, but wanted to ask what you guys want to do regarding the official OS
    Right now i know Debian is beta, so im not going to put a lot of time into testing just yet, but with regards to Ubuntu..

Are you guys considering the Linaro Ubuntu 11 v1.3 image the official, most recommended image? or now that Ubuntu 12.04 image is out, is that the base Ubuntu image to go with and LInaro Ubunto 11 is done.

Is the Ubuntu 12.04 using Linaro also? it looks like it, as i don't see the Unity interface and overall it looks the same as v11, but im not an Ubuntu or linaro expert.

What image i should be using.. is Linaro Ubuntu 11 v1.3 development still going to continue or will the focus move to the straight Ubuntu 12.04? maybe you will keep both?

I know there will always be lots of distros, but figure officially its going to Ubuntu(variant) and possibly Debian once out of beta, so i just want to make sure i keep my test data in line with the UDOO teams direction on the primary recommended Linux OS (or 2 when Debian is ready)

2. delba

delba Administrator Staff Member

Hi Draco,

well let's see... We always suggest to use Ubuntu 12.04 so we definitely consider it as the most recommended image.

Yep, Ubuntu 12.04 is Linaro as well as the 11.10. Btw we installed 2 different desktop environments on it: Gnome by defualt and Unity logging out and selecting Ubuntu 2D.

Actually these days we're focusing more on the 12.04 and 12.04 armhf (surprise! ;). We're planning to release the hardfloat version after the christmas break. Debian will become official once we fixed some important issues we're having now.

To answer your main question: please focus more on 12.04 (and 12.04 armhf once we'll be released) and Debian Wheezy armhf. These 2 Distro will be the official ones.

Cheers

3. Lifeboat_Jim

Lifeboat_Jim New Member

I hate to ask, but are those difficulties the Vivante graphics drivers?

You probably know how much ppl ask after hardware accel on the forums. Add on the IRC and its double.

Hardware accel *and* armhf on Debian Wheezy would make a lot of people happy.

4. DracoLlasa

DracoLlasa UDOOer

Thanks for the follow up and info.
    I will try and keep tests updated with the versions as noted. I have got some more of my hardware i used for testing so i should be able to streamline some of the stuff i do.