Patriot USB Thumb Drives, BIOS 103

Discussion in 'UDOO X86' started by Beaker, Feb 16, 2018.

1. Beaker

Beaker New Member

I have a pair of patriot spark USB thumb drives, 16GB size each that are having some problems when I try to use them with my Udoo x86 ultra. I have the latest UEFI installed, version 103. Here is what is going on:

- When a patriot thumb drive is plugged directly into a USB 3.0 port on the udoo x86
    ---> System does not recognize the thumb drive
    ---> Running the lsblk command from linux does not show a thumb drive attached
    ---> Verified this is the case on both Windows 10 and Arch Linux

- When the same patriot thumb drive is plugged into a USB 3.0 hub that is plugged into the udoo x86
    ---> System recognizes the thumb drive that is connected to the USB 3.0 hub
    ---> Running the lsblk command from linux shows the device attached
    ---> Able to work with the thumb drive as normal

- When a Samsung USB 3.0 thumb drive is plugged directly into a USB 3.0 port on the udoo x86
    ---> System recognizes the thumb drive that is connected to the USB 3.0 port
    ---> Running the lsblk command from linux shows the device attached
    ---> Able to work with the thumb drive as normal

This case led me to believe that maybe there is a problem with the device ID that is recognized for the patriot USB thumb drive, as when it is attached to the USB 3.0 hub it displays a different device ID, if I'm not mistaken, as its a pass-through device from the hub.

The Samsung drives work perfectly fine, either plugged directly into the udoo or into a USB 3.0 hub. I have two different Samsung drives, one 32GB and one 128GB and both work perfectly fine with the udoo.

The problem only appears to be the Patriot drives, both of the ones I have are 16GB Spark thumb drives.

Can anyone else confirm if this is a problem with their udoo x86? Are you able to plug patriot thumb drives directly into the udoo x86 USB 3.0 port and use them? If so, are they the spark models of thumb drive or a different model?