Possible cheap case solution

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mkopack, Jan 23, 2014.

1. mkopack

mkopack Member

While unpacking an old box of desk supplies last night, I came across a plastic 3x5 index card holder box.

That got my thinking - I bet a Udoo would fit in that no problem. In fact, with a larger 4x6" one, it should be possible to stuff a small hard drive (SSD) in as well, and possible a battery pack (or maybe the camera module. You'd have to cut the holes for the various ports depending on how you want to arrange it, but a little work with an X-acto knife should be doable... Could even make it where you open teh box to get at the Arduino side pins...

Thoughts??? Thinking it might make for a really cheap solution that a lot of us have been looking for to store/protect our udoo until something better/more custom is available.

--Mike

2. mkopack

mkopack Member

In fact, it also has me wondering if the 7" screen could be mounted inside/against it as well... Hmm... Might have to get out the ruler tonight!

3. mkopack

mkopack Member

Well, after looking at (and measuring) the hardware (UDoo, SSD, 7" touchscreen, camera module) the only way it'd even be possible is in a box made for 5x8" index cards, and then there'd be a TON of wasted space inside...

It could certainly be done! I don't want to discourage anyone from looking into this solution... I just don't think it's for me at this time...

What I was thinking was the following:

Cut the box at the hinges, on that side cut the large hole to center the 7" LCD touch screen (but didn't really have a plan for how to hold it in place....)

Place the SSD in the bottom of the case

Mount the Udoo board onto some sort of shelf or riser or something such that the board is flush with where the lid closes down onto the bottom. Cut holes in the lid to leave room for the various ports on the side. Run the LCD + SATA cords down to the LCD+SSD as appropriate.

Put new hinges on the box so you could flip the top open to get access to the various pins for the Arduino side, but could otherwise keep the box closed...

Cut/drill some holes in the small edge sides to allow for some air flow...

4. mkopack

mkopack Member

also this plan would probably work best if you can find one where the interface between the lid and the bottom was the same height all around. The one I found @ Staples was lower in the front of the box than the back and tapered... Probably wouldn't have worked as well.