Powering Bolt with ITX PSU

Discussion in 'UDOO BOLT' started by nitro_charlie, May 20, 2020.

1. nitro_charlie

nitro_charlie New Member

Hi all,

I'm going to add an external graphics card to my V8 and have an extra PSU for that, but I was wondering if anyone has adapted either the atx connecter or a 4 pin (with 2 12v sources) to power the board through the DC jack (or dual usb, I'm not fussy!)?

I'm sure it will be more hassle than it's worth but it would be nice to run everything off one plug instead of 2!

Thanks all.

2. kaiyoti

kaiyoti New Member

I too am building a v1000 + egpu for a compact. It's unfortunate that the bolt runs off of 19v. But instead of ITX PSU, I'm using mean well 12v power supply to build a compact but brickless gaming machine. Either way you need to convert 12V to 19V.

As per the bolt documentation:
    "The UDOO BOLT board can be supplied with an external 19VDC ± 5% power supply, minimum 60W (i.e. min. 3.15A @ 19V) for basic functionalities recommended. Mating DC plug is a male connector 4.5mm x 3.0mm with pin inside."

Alternatively, it can also be powered by:
    "The Board can also be powered by using a standard USB-C power adapter thanks the Power Delivery in Sink mode. The PD Sink power profile is 20V 3A."

60W is what you need. For DC, you can theoretically get a step up dc dc convertor like this
    For Type C, you can try something like a car PD charger since car chargers uses the 12V cig charger, rip out the board and wire it to the ITX-PSU from 12V power supply. Custom boards also exist. As there is DC-DC converstion, I imagine you'd lose efficiency so you'll probably compensate by having a slightly higher wattage psu.

Alternatively, I also thought about getting a larger 19V power supply, and doing a step down to 12V to power the GFX.

My goal is to build a compact gaming device and I feel like bolt would be wasted with it's gpio / arduino features so I'm doing that with an Asrock 4x4 V1000m board, it's a smaller board, the ram is sits horizontally, and most importantly, it takes 12V dc.