Problem Updating BIOS

Discussion in 'UDOO X86' started by Intermez, Nov 7, 2017.

1. Intermez

Intermez New Member

Need some help. Tried to update my Advanced from 1.01 to 1.03. Running Win 7 Pro x64. Followed the directions in the SECO pdf. Moved the files specified into user\admin\desktop\BIOS UPDATE including the new bios file, 0B020000.103. Ran the following in the command shell: bios_updater_x64 0B020000,103.
    Response was "Updating...", Update complete, need to reboot. Rebooted to windows, then rebooted again to get to Bios, SCU said I was still running 1.01.

I'm sure I did something wrong, I'm a novice at this and need some help.

Thanks

2. Laura

Laura UDOOer

Are you running the command prompt as administrator?
    Opening the prompt by clicking on the icon does not give access to the board hardware required for the flashing process. When you get the icon, right click and choose run as administrator

3. Intermez

Intermez New Member

Laura,

thanks, you'll have to forgive me. When I right click on "H2OFFT-Wx64" and run as administrator I get the Old Bios version and ID and then the New Bios version and ID. Then I immediately get and error message stating Error saying Open File Failed (path=?). No time to enter version and ID info even if I knew what to enter there. I understand the version question but not the ID questions.

I'm trying to learn if you can help.

K

4. Markus Laire

Markus Laire Active Member

You need to run command prompt as admin, not the executables directly. Once you have admin command prompt, enter required commands there as told in PDF.

5. Laura

Laura UDOOer

As mentioned by @Markus Laire, you need to open the command prompt window as administrator. Then type and execute the bios_updater command listed in the guide included with the firmware zip.

6. Intermez

Intermez New Member

Got it,except now I get the following error:

Error: IHISI 14h Read compare fail after write. Address: FF804000
    then it tries again, but fails again at a different address; FFC55000

So it's attempting to write 1.03, fails and atill have 1.01

What should I try?

Thanks

7. Laura

Laura UDOOer

The following instructions assume you have Windows 10 64-bit edition installed.

Re-download the zip file. Extract the contents, then create a new folder, to merge the contents of the Windows/x64 with the firmware. For ease of use, create that folder near to the root of C:\ (I used C:\newfirmware\ for mine).

Disconnect power fully from the board. When you boot into Windows 10, open the command prompt as admin, then change directory (example command cd \newfirmware) Then type: bios_updater_64 0B020000.103 (this part being the file name of the new firmware. After you type the first number, you can press the tab key, and the rest of the file name will be autocompleted)

8. Intermez

Intermez New Member

Thanks, but have already done as you suggested twice before. I'll do it again to make sure.

Same error messages, running Win 7 not Win 10. Could this be the problem?

9. Laura

Laura UDOOer

Is your Windows 7 installation x86 or x86-64?
    If you are running the 32-bit x86 version of Windows, you need to run the x86 version of the update tool.

If you have the 64-bit Windows 7 installed, I am not sure what might be causing your issue. An alternative route to updating the bios is to run a Live USB version of Ubuntu, and then follow the Linux portion of the firmware update guide.

10. Intermez

Intermez New Member

I have Win 7 x64 set up in a dual boot with Ubuntu. Plan on learning Linux but have never used it. Always boot into Win 7. I have tried to get rid of the dual boot and do away with Ubuntu for now to see if that makes a difference with the Bios update but with this Bios (1.01) haven't found a way to do that. Currently have Ubuntu loaded in the onboard eMMC and Win 7 in a SSD. Any suggestions how to get rid of the dualboot & Ubuntu?

11. Laura

Laura UDOOer

Use a Live USB that loads an OS that is independent of what you have installed. To load the Live USB, hit ESC when turning on the board to enter the menu where you can then go to the boot options. The USB drive should be listed.

12. Intermez

Intermez New Member

Did the LiveUSB thing with win 7 and was able to use 1.01 to get back to a single boot using Win 7. Then tried the BIOS update to 1.03 again but still get the same errors as before. Would really like to get 1.03 installed to get control of the fan. Only time the fan runs now is at startup. As soon as I load the CPU the system freezes and I have to reboot. What do I do to get 1.03 installed?

13. Laura

Laura UDOOer

To clarify, did you use the Live USB operating system to run the firmare update tool? This is what I am suggesting you do. A Live USB should offer a cleaner environment for running the firmware tool, compared to your already installed operating systems like Windows 7.

The only other suggestion that I have is to enter the firmware configuration, and under 'Exit' load the optimal defaults, and then under 'Power' disable power to the Intel Curie. Then enter the Live USB OS, and run the tool.

If that fails, open a support ticket: https://www.udoo.org/customer-care/ as a technician will have to look into it.