Processing 2 for iMX6?

Discussion in 'Arduino IDE' started by jimmnh, Oct 29, 2013.

1. jimmnh

jimmnh New Member

I think it's kind of odd that no-one mentions Processing 2 language which I just came across by accident. It appears to be what the Arduino IDE is based on and should run on Linaro Ubuntu ARM .. though I haven't tried it yet. It's light weight, easy to understand, and provides instant visual feedback and has some great tutorials. Processing also allows one to communicate with the outside world with the included libraries and has some traction in the Arduino community. It also supports GL. And you can build a program to run on the Android side of the house as well. Doesn't even require an install since it's JAVA based. I'm curious why no-one is discussing it. Seems a really good fit for UDOO iMX6 side. Am I missing something?

2. DracoLlasa

DracoLlasa UDOOer

Not sure, i dont see why Processing wouldnt work on the UDOO, i actually planned on using it i have just never got around to setting it up.
    Being what the UDOO is, it makes perfect sense to allow processing to handle output from the SAM3 chip

I quite look forward to seeing the results of this marriage onto a single device, and i think Processing will be a big part of that.

Let us know if you try and get it working, and im sure others will step in if there is something preventing it from being put in place.

3. Mozer

Mozer New Member

Hmm I tried it a couple of days ago, pretty nice tool! but for some reason it wont run on UDOO.. I think it has something to do with Java, but I am no expert on this field :) hopefully somebody else can get it to work!

4. jimmnh

jimmnh New Member

@Mozer - I don't think anyone is a UDOO expert yet. :) What sort of error did you get, if any?

5. joemcder

joemcder New Member

We should have a prize for the 1st person to bring Processing 2 up and running.

6. jimmnh

jimmnh New Member

Actually I think that's a great idea for the UDOO team. Shield prizes and other small items for first person to do something unique/cool/effective, perhaps one per month, and thoroughly document/video it for their tutorial section. Moderated first of course.

I'd just like the updated Jellybean image. ;-)

7. ji11x38

ji11x38 New Member

Any updates so far? couldn't get processing 2 running myself...
    but i am really looking forward for a reply!
    Found something about processing running on the raspberry here:

http://cagewebdev.com/index.php/raspber ... our-raspi/

just giving it a try at the moment! Will let you know if it works!

Maybe someone else can get v2 running the same way! but we will have to see!

Regards
    JI11X38

8. scott_fx

scott_fx New Member

looking forward to this. I just bought the udoo for a project that centers around processing. :|

9. DracoLlasa

DracoLlasa UDOOer

Sorry i never connected these threads.
    Here is a more detailed thread on running Processing (or more specifically why we cant get it running today)

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=180