s/pdif

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by lokki, Feb 12, 2014.

1. lokki

lokki New Member

hey there,

i'm trying to build a guitar effect-pedal out of an udoo. i use pure data for all the effect work. the question is, how i can get low latency audio to and from the board. (usb sound cards do not work that great on the udoo it seems) the mic_in works but the quality is not very good. (audible hiss) is there a way via s/pdif? how do i tell the board to use the s/pdif in and out? is the alas_driver ready for s/pdif? (i don't see the option in alsamixer) according to the schematics line in and out is not connected, right? i guess the quality on those would be better (signal to noise)

thanks for an answer

2. mikelangeloz

mikelangeloz Member

Hi,
    for what I'm aware, spdif alsa drivers are not available yet... So your best bet is to use USB audio with Jack to reduce latency, you can use the UbuntuStudio release, which has jack and puredata built in...
    You can find it in the download section...
    http://www.udoo.org/downloads/

Let me know!

3. lokki

lokki New Member

well i tried the ubuntu studio release and it does not work very well for me. usb audio is still very bad (even with periods/buffer at 3 and 48000), jack gets a lot of xruns when i try to use the usb-audio device. generally (on other platforms and laptops) it's better to use pure data directly via alsa (more stable lower latencies) i am now going to build my own kernel and disable usb 2.0 completely since this seems to help on the raspberry pi. (although they have a config file to disable usb 2.0 support) so another question would be, is there an option to turn off usb 2.0 support without compiling a new kernel?

thanks for your time

4. lokki

lokki New Member

so, are spdif in and out for the alsa driver planned? or what are the pinouts for? thanks

5. Komet

Komet New Member

Is there any progress on this? I would also like to use the S/PDIF output...

6. fetcher

fetcher Member