Script for creating UEFI update ISO image

Discussion in 'UDOO X86' started by Markus Laire, May 19, 2017.

1. Markus Laire

Markus Laire Active Member

I made a small script which creates an ISO image for automatic UEFI update.

If UDOO X86 is configured to boot from correct device, then this image can be used to update UEFI without any user input. Otherwise you do need to select correct device (USB stick or SD card) from boot manager.

Script is available from GitHub (create-uefi-update-iso.sh) and works at least in Debian Jessie.

Resulting ISO image is based on Debian Stretch Live and is about 280 MB. If someone wants to download it, I can give link to my Google Drive folder, but I won't mention that publicly for now because of following serious bug I don't yet understand:

WARNING: I tested this while I had Debian Stretch installed to SSD and afterwards could not boot Debian Stretch anymore. I'm not sure if this has something to do with the fact that Debian Strecth was installed with EFI boot and this ISO only supports legacy booting. So use at your own risk - you might need to reinstall any OS afterwards.

2. Maurice

Maurice Active Member

Nice.

It doesn't run out of the box on my Ubuntu, the first error I encounter is the lb command. I have two choices to install:
    * live-build
    * open-infrastructure-system-build

Which one should it be?

3. Maurice

Maurice Active Member

Opted for the logical answer live-build, but seems not to be the same, it doesn't know the option --updates.

4. Markus Laire

I'm using live-build which is the script Debian uses to build its official Live images. I have version 4.0.3-1 from Debian Jessie at the moment, but it's possible that Ubuntu uses even older one.

I used options '--updates', '--backports' and '--security' to disable those repositories to simplify building, but those can be removed if not supported by your version (and generally at least security shouldn't really be disabled).

5. Markus Laire

I googled about open-infrastructure-system-build and it seems to be same program as live-build? I'm not sure what their exact relationship is to each other, perhaps one is fork of another.