Suitable camera for road recognition

Discussion in 'UDOO NEO' started by mosdev, Oct 11, 2018.

1. mosdev

mosdev New Member

Hi Guys,
    I hope that I can look back on your experience, in terms of a suitable camera for an Udoo Neo Full.
    I want to build a small vehicle that drives along a marker.
    Are there any suitable cameras with a good Api? My preferred language is python.
    It does not matter to me that it is high resolution or color, it is important that it works and is performant.

Thanks a lot !

2. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

That is almost not possible with a Neo as it has a bad video processor and computing power. You could use other Udoo boards or use another sensor to track the marker line.

mosdev likes this.
  3. mosdev

mosdev New Member

@waltervl I thought of the UDOO Camera Module. In the first step, only the road should be recognized when the vehicle is stationary. Good would be if at the end of 30fps come around. For the sake of simplicity, I would like to use a monochrome camera. Do you think it will definitely not work?

4. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

The Udoo camera module is not working on the Neo the last time I checked. The only option would be to use a USB cam. But then the processor of the Neo will be probably suffering of computing power to handle your use case. But you can always give it a try..... :)

mosdev likes this.
  5. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

mosdev likes this.
  6. mosdev

mosdev New Member

Ok that's bad I thought the analog camera connection would not put me or the problem of a usb camera.
    Would it be possible to use a third-party camera which has an analog connection J12? Of course it would be a dream to have a good api to control the camera as best as possible. So far I've never seen myself confronted with the topic. I would like to buy a camera, monochrome would be good with sufficient equipment to detect the lane.

For my understanding. I would need a camera with a JST3 pin port, a cable with JST3 pin plug to connect it to the board?
    Then such a camera would be completely sufficient?

[​IMG]

Can I control the camera directly via Udoo ubuntu? For the lane detection I would like to write the code on python.

7. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

mosdev likes this.
  8. mosdev

mosdev New Member

I'm working my way through the thread. I had hoped that it is easier to get a stable image transfer by camera and access via sdk, api on this. My hope was to get a camera, connect this plug and play to the board and then implement the lane detection via python. It is a team project and the specifications are udoo neo + camera analog or usb. Would other boards be better for this purpose?

9. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

If specification says Udoo Neo than you have to use this. I would go far the most simple and low spec USB cam you can get (but supported by Ubuntu).

Can you tell more about the team project, is it for school? What school? I am just interested because someone specified a Udoo board :)

mosdev likes this.
  10. mosdev

mosdev New Member

Thanks for the tip, then I will look for a usb camera which is best monochrome and low res. How can I find out if the camera is compatible with Linux ubunto If I look at the popular shops is something like that, of course, not specified, there are clear features that suggest it?
    I am an absolute newbie in this field and I am very grateful for your help.
    In the university the choice fell on the Udoo board because it is due to the arm architecture ideally suited for the model-based code generation.
    It is, so to speak, a feasibility study, whether the Udoo Neo Board in conjunction with a camera and, for example, OPENCV enables lane detection.

11. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

12. mosdev

mosdev New Member

I read through. On the internet you can find quite a few examples like Opencv runnin on a i.MX6.
    Is here the deciding factor the neo's GPU?
    I mean, the requirements can be changed if the project on the Neo is not feasible.
    Which board would be the minimum entry to read a camera using OpenCV?

13. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

There is the Udoo Neo with an i.MX6sx and the Udoo Dual or Quad with the i.MX6 Dual or Quad. The last 2 can handle OpenCV without any problems. See also the next instruction. It is from the time Udoo had only the Udoo Dual/Quad boards so as it says Udoo boards it is an instruction for the Udoo Dual/Quad only. There the Udoo camera module will work. The far more newer Udoo X86 (on X86 architecture) can handle OpenCV even better but is no ARM.

mosdev likes this.
  14. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

15. mosdev

mosdev New Member

I think then the choice will fall on the Udo Dual. I am just considering if the Basic version would be sufficient and if I want to do without the Gigabit Ethernet and Wifi module. An advantage has the thing in relation to the camera, I can directly take the Camera Module. If you say that the Udoo dual has the full OpenCv access, this would be great and would justify the extra investment.

16. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

mosdev likes this.
  17. mosdev

mosdev New Member

I think it's time to talk to the stakeholders :D we need more power !!
    You really helped me on. I keep you updated.

waltervl likes this.