The 'bonus' USB C hub.. Not working in Ubuntu 19.04

Discussion in 'UDOO BOLT' started by Rob MacMorran, Aug 8, 2019.

1. Rob MacMorran

Rob MacMorran New Member

Regarding the USB C hub that UDOO provided: (non-powered, has a few USB 3 ports and Ethernet)
    Is there any trick to getting it working in Ubuntu? I've tried using it on each of the 2 USB C ports but no devices work when plugged into the hub's USB 3 ports. I've tried a keyboard and a wireless mouse, both of which work on the onboard USB 3 ports, and neither works when using the hub. (Yes, I am trying this after the system has booted; I'm not trying to use them before boot.)

2. hhtmp88

hhtmp88 UDOOer

the hub may not be mounted,

have you tried to connected the hub before you boot?

3. Erkki

Erkki UDOOer

With wired keyboard and mouse on the hub I did nothing to make it work using standard Ubuntu 19.04 as it worked out of the box. Used the USB-C port closest to the HDMI ports. All cables connected before powering up.

4. nophead

nophead UDOOer

Works for me in Ubuntu 18.04. I have tested the Ethernet port and a USB key and a USB WiFi dongle in the USB 3 ports.

5. marc.d

marc.d UDOOer

It's not working here ... not in Windows 10, not in Ubuntu, and not in Slackware current. Is there some BIOS setting which must be configured properly before this _can_ work?

6. nophead

nophead UDOOer

I haven't changed anything in the BIOS. What does dmesg say when you plug it in?

7. marc.d

marc.d UDOOer

Yesterday morning I wanted to find out if the Udoo provided dock with ethernet and 3 usb ports would become active when connecting the dock while the bolt is in a cold state, and then powering on.
    I did not get that far though, because after only a few minutes i noticed a burning smell so i quickly powered of the bold. The fan was not spinning at that point in time, so i guess it must have been a gemperature issue. The only devices connected were a unifying receiver, a monitor connected to hdmi, and the 'dock' connected to one of the usb-c ports.
    I removed the fan and the heatsink. I was a bit surprised the heatsink came loose very easily, and I also noticed the surface with the thermal paste was dry and hard. I'm not sure this is normal, but in any case, I cleaned the surfaces of the processor and the heatsink using isopropyl alcohol. I ordered an alternative fan unit via amazon, and I will only provide power to the board again once I have it reassembled with the alternative fan unit installed.
    I hope I removed power quickly enough so that the processor isn't damaged, but i can understand a unit fails after overheating issues, although i don't really understand where that smell came from.
    I'll keep you guys posted, but it might take a while before receiving the alternative fan unit.
    Cheers,
    Marc

Attached Files:

8. nophead

nophead UDOOer

Note that the fan only spins occasionally unless the Bolt is working on something very CPU intensive.

9. marc.d

marc.d UDOOer

Hi all,

In the meanwhile the alternative fan-unit arrived and I've got it installed, and the board is up and running now, hurray :)

To get back to the topic of the original post, I first tried to connect the bonus USB-3 hub using CN9, and on that port this hub is not functioning, but it _does_ work when connected through CN8.

Trying to connect other USB-C devices such as my Sharkoon dock and my Lenovo USB-C travel hub (both with USB-C) reveal the same thing: they work on CN9 but not on CN8.

Is anyone else experiencing this behaviour, or am I missing something? I'll try to check some BIOS settings, and I'll get back to the forum later.

BTW, I'm using Slackware current on my Bolt, and not Ubuntu, but in itself that should not make too much difference in terms of hardware.

Thanks

Marc

10. marc.d

marc.d UDOOer

Hi all,

In the meanwhile the alternative fan-unit arrived and I've got it installed, and the board is up and running now, hurray :)

To get back to the topic of the original post, I first tried to connect the bonus USB-3 hub using CN9, and on that port this hub is not functioning, but it _does_ work when connected through CN8.

Trying to connect other USB-C devices such as my Sharkoon dock and my Lenovo USB-C travel hub (both with USB-C) reveal the same thing: they work on CN9 but not on CN8.

Is anyone else experiencing this behaviour, or am I missing something? I'll try to check some BIOS settings, and I'll get back to the forum later.

BTW, I'm using Slackware current on my Bolt, and not Ubuntu, but in itself that should not make too much difference in terms of hardware.

Thanks

Marc

11. nophead

nophead UDOOer

Mine is working on CN8 with Ubuntu and I have a monitor connected to CN9.

12. Hal

Hal UDOOer

When I've had problems with the USB C hub, I noticed it wasn't plugged in firmly. Unlikely to be your problem but perhaps worth a quick try.