Ubuntu giving a mount error

Discussion in 'UDOO BOLT' started by NoSmokey_Bear, Oct 1, 2019.

1. NoSmokey_Bear

NoSmokey_Bear UDOOer

I'm trying to install Ubuntu on to my bolt and I keep getting a error. "mounting /cow on /root failed: Invalid argument lay mount failed" this happens no mater the USB device I try to install from and no mater the drives I have connected. No matter weather I try to go through the try before install or just try to go through the installation right away.

I do get a line that reads "1.452717] kfd kfd: device 1002:15dd NOT added due to errors"

2. NoSmokey_Bear

NoSmokey_Bear UDOOer

After using a different Linux version and using the nomodeset command I found that the screen was being cut off. The error is "(initramfs) mount: mounting /cow on /root failed: invalid argument overlay mount failed".

3. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

How did you create your Linux image? Perhaps it is corrupt using your method. There is a good instructions in the Udoo X86 getting started documentation. https://www.udoo.org/get-started-x86/

4. NoSmokey_Bear

NoSmokey_Bear UDOOer

The latest version of Rufus. I have used the image to make the USB boot drive several times and with three different drives and I keep getting the same error. I have tried changing different settings in my bolt's bios, but I still get that same error.

5. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

You are sure you downloaded the correct Linux version, not a ARM (Raspberry Pi) version?
    You are doing something wrong here, nobody else is getting this error. What version of Ubuntu are you trying to install?
    In what disk are you trying to install, how is it connected to the Bolt? Are you installing on a clean disk?

6. NoSmokey_Bear

NoSmokey_Bear UDOOer

I have been trying to use the Ubuntu 19.04 Distro that was made for the bolt, because i wanted to install it on the eMMC on the bolt, but I also have tried with a 512GB NVMe PCIe M.2 SSD as well to see if it was having problems with the eMMC. I have also tried with Linux Mint 19.2 Cinnamon edition 64 bit for desktop. I have formatted the drives that was using multiple times using standard and quick formatting, including deleting the partitions on the thumb drives and full formatting before creating the install drive with Rufus.

7. NoSmokey_Bear

NoSmokey_Bear UDOOer

Which is very frustrating, I have never had this problem with either of my Udoo X86's

8. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

9. NoSmokey_Bear

NoSmokey_Bear UDOOer

Yep that was the issue. Installed and now I'm working on getting needed software on it.

waltervl likes this.