Ubuntu giving a mount error

Discussion in 'UDOO BOLT' started by NoSmokey_Bear, Oct 1, 2019.

1. NoSmokey_Bear

NoSmokey_Bear UDOOer

I'm trying to install Ubuntu on to my bolt and I keep getting a error. "mounting /cow on /root failed: Invalid argument lay mount failed" this happens no mater the USB device I try to install from and no mater the drives I have connected. No matter weather I try to go through the try before install or just try to go through the installation right away.

I do get a line that reads "1.452717] kfd kfd: device 1002:15dd NOT added due to errors"

2. NoSmokey_Bear

NoSmokey_Bear UDOOer

After using a different Linux version and using the nomodeset command I found that the screen was being cut off. The error is "(initramfs) mount: mounting /cow on /root failed: invalid argument overlay mount failed".

3. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

How did you create your Linux image? Perhaps it is corrupt using your method. There is a good instructions in the Udoo X86 getting started documentation. https://www.udoo.org/get-started-x86/

4. NoSmokey_Bear

NoSmokey_Bear UDOOer

The latest version of Rufus. I have used the image to make the USB boot drive several times and with three different drives and I keep getting the same error. I have tried changing different settings in my bolt's bios, but I still get that same error.

5. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

You are sure you downloaded the correct Linux version, not a ARM (Raspberry Pi) version?
    You are doing something wrong here, nobody else is getting this error. What version of Ubuntu are you trying to install?
    In what disk are you trying to install, how is it connected to the Bolt? Are you installing on a clean disk?

6. NoSmokey_Bear

NoSmokey_Bear UDOOer

I have been trying to use the Ubuntu 19.04 Distro that was made for the bolt, because i wanted to install it on the eMMC on the bolt, but I also have tried with a 512GB NVMe PCIe M.2 SSD as well to see if it was having problems with the eMMC. I have also tried with Linux Mint 19.2 Cinnamon edition 64 bit for desktop. I have formatted the drives that was using multiple times using standard and quick formatting, including deleting the partitions on the thumb drives and full formatting before creating the install drive with Rufus.

7. NoSmokey_Bear

NoSmokey_Bear UDOOer

Which is very frustrating, I have never had this problem with either of my Udoo X86's

8. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

9. NoSmokey_Bear

NoSmokey_Bear UDOOer

Yep that was the issue. Installed and now I'm working on getting needed software on it.

waltervl likes this.
  10. tanguero

tanguero New Member

Came across this problem while trying to install Linux Mint with persistence and found this page. I also found two solutions (neither of which involve giving up on persistence as the other proposed worksarounds do), which I will share.

As waltervl points out, it is a combination of a bug in casper (which is what is used for persistence support) and the use of Rufus. But not Rufus' fault ... read on.

The solutions are:
    1. Use YUMI instead of Rufus to create the live USB. Why does this work? Because YUMI, presumably because it needs to support multiple boot images, uses file-based casper (i.e., a large file, a virtual file system of some kind I guess, to hold the persistent changes) while Rufus uses partition-based casper (a separate ext3 partition on the drive for the persistent changes). And the casper bug, if you read the description carefully at https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/casper/+bug/1489855 only affects partition-based casper, not file-based casper.

2. I also discovered by trial and error, and have no explanation for why this works, that it WILL work with Rufus if you format the USB drive as NTFS instead of the default FAT32, notwithstanding that persistence is still implemented in the same way (casper partition).

If you choose the YUMI approach, you should realize that the persistence size will be limited to 4 GB owing to FAT32 file-size limitations, though of course you could use NTFS there as well to overcome that limitation.

Of course, you could wait for the bug fix to propagate to your favourite .iso that exhibits this behaviour (allegedly 19.10 onwards in the case of Ubuntu per the link provided by waltervl), but given that it was filed in 2015 and has only recently (2019) been patched in Ubuntu, I'd suggest one of the 2 approaches above instead.