Udoo and OpenCV

Discussion in 'Application & Utilities' started by getinbalcony, Oct 27, 2013.

1. getinbalcony

getinbalcony New Member

Hey

I'm planning to get the quad board for image recognition and processing for robotics applications. Has anyone tried OpenCV on udoo? What's the performance? How many fps could you get on usb camera?

I'm new to image recognition and this is like my first big project! Hope u can help me :roll:

Cheers

2. miousername

miousername New Member

Hi,
    If I'm right openCV are openCL based!
    This platform support openCL so you can compile openCV library to use them for face recognition.

I never did it but if you surf internet you can find some post abou it!

3. lhl

lhl New Member

@getinbalcony I plan on doing some image processing test and have some OpenCV scripts that I will be trying out, however a few caveats.

The current Ubuntu version provided is based on 11.10, which is... old (release date Oct 2011) and the OpenCV packaged with that is *ancient* - 2.1 from June 2010. Looks like the OpenCL module wasn't added to OpenCV until ... 2.3.1? You're going to need to either build OpenCV from source or see if we can get a better version of Ubuntu (raring or saucy would do the trick).

Another thing to note doing a quick search is that the Vivante GPU supports "OpenCL 1.1 Embedded Profile" From this thread:

It's quite possible that the OpenCV OCL module may not work particularly well w/ the Vivante GPU's EP implementation.

Anyway, sounds like good fun. Report back on what you discover! ;)

4. g.cubed

g.cubed New Member

Just wanted to chime in and say I got OpenCV running from source and was able to do a face detection test, but haven't been able to get TBB or sphinx-common installed.

5. NeverCast

NeverCast New Member

Did you build OpenCV on your PC or on the UDOO?
    I'm currently attempting to do it on the device.

6. getinbalcony

getinbalcony New Member

Hi folks, thanks for your answers! ;)

@g.cubed Did you build OpenCV on your PC or on the UDOO? How about performance? Could you get the 4 cores working fine?

@NeverCast could you do it on device? Post your progress please :D

7. g.cubed

g.cubed New Member

Hey guys,

Sorry for not replying sooner, I haven't been around for a while...

I'm not sure how to quantify performance (if there is a utility you want run let me know), but the face detection was usable for my purposes. However, without TBB and sphinx-common I didn't proceed further. I built it on the UDOO itself btw (starting with the linaro image).

It's now two months later and I'll be starting from scratch as lately I've been working off another board.

8. Flamenawer

Flamenawer Member

I bougth Udoo for same propose. For the monent, no full support for openvc, and less yet,for ROS hydra.
    I failed on install ROS Hydro on Ubuntu core armhf. I was not able o install gui for ubuntu or ROS.In ROS, no opencv support, no bullet, no openni, no pcl...
    Now,for 2 days , I am trying install full version ROS on Debian Wheezy armhf. Ros core, bullet, opencv are installed, but collada and PCL dependences, error to compiled.Udoo kernel or gcc version, they have a mistake on endian selection. Same fail for pandaboard. I saw the solutiton with a script for correct endian detection, but I dont now that do, I dont know work with scroípts or macros.Also I read a bug on roscom archive for armhf processors, a guy found solution, but he no posted and he is dissapiered.

I will try compile opencv desktop today.
    Waiting a few days for official ubuntu armhf img. Also I did a request for ROS and opencv dedicated img for robotics.
    I think that we could make a work group for robotnics.

Excuse my bad English

9. g.cubed

g.cubed New Member

Nice work Flamenawer, I think getting a working group together would be good, but I think at this point as long as we are reporting to each other in one place it's enough. I think these forums are good for that.

I'm giving it another go now as well. There is a Clonezilla ROS Hydro image available for both Dual and Quad. I haven't been able to test it as I haven't been able to transfer the Clonezilla image as I lack the adequate resources. I didn't have much hope for PCL or OpenNI compiling, I probably won't attempt it for a while.

10. billy4184

billy4184 New Member

Hi guys, for those of you having problems getting opencv up and running, following Ozbot's guide at:
    http://www.ozbotz.org/opencv-installation/
    worked for me. Feel free to ask me any questions on errors etc as I have spent much time on this problem and can probably point you in the right direction.

Cheers, Billy

11. Flamenawer

Flamenawer Member

udoo+ros+opencv+pcl+stereo vision+night vision on 3 16:9 HD cameras + slam+lidar mapping, working for a commercial project. I can not say more for now, but everything will be public when possible. At this stage I can not say more, so the project is not fully defined. I will need engineers and programmers also do not know the legal way to start the project, if partners, association to find an investor, it may be possible in quickstarter, there are many ways to do this.

[​IMG]

12. sam

sam New Member

Hi Flamenawer! your poject looks great!
    I'm trying too to make some object detector on a udoo quad using ubuntu and opencv in codeblocks...
    Did you ever get in trouble with some opencl errors?

13. sumotoy

sumotoy New Member

Hello Billy,
    I wonder how you installed the required Gstream and libraries, actually apt will not install those libraries!

14. mkopack

mkopack Member

I likewise have interested in getting ROS going on the Udoo (as the Rpi is WAY WAY WAY too slow for anything other than a leaf node to interface with Arduino over...)

Yeah, OpenNI is probably going to be a no-go as the skeleton tracking stuff requires driver support and they've never released an ARM driver. Not sure about PCL though.

Yeah it would be awesome if we could come up with either a concise set of instructions for installing ROS or a good system image that we could include in the Downloads section here for it and keep up to date.

I might try to give it a go myself this week/weekend.... I have a Turtlebot desperately in need of a lower weight/power consuming brain.... (although I still don't know how I'll drive the Kinect for lidar....)

15. mkopack

mkopack Member

when you guys did the ROS install, did you do it from the pre-compiled stuff or did you start from the "Install from Source" instructions on the ROS installation pages?

16. vini

vini New Member

Hello everyone,

I tried to follow this tutorial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvFM-gIGpQQ
    It is a very detailed tutorial about face recognition on RpI (if you have a RpI, this tutorial is awesome!). I was able to follow the tutorial until the "make" comand. When I hit "make" it should go from 0 to 100%, but in 8% it gives me an error. Any one knows why it can't work on UDOO? I'm using UDOO Quad.

17. mkopack

mkopack Member

Helps if you tell us what the error is :)

Chances are you're just missing a necessary library that is already on the Pi but not on the OS image you're using on the Udoo...

18. vini

vini New Member

Yeah, I know, sorry but after trying a lot of things, I quit this and tried to follow this tutorial: http://www.udoo.org/ProjectsAndTutorial ... -for-udoo/

Now I'm having an error when I hit the comand:

qt5$ gedit qtbase/mkspecs/devices/linux-imx6-g++/qmake.conf

The error is:

ubuntu@udoo:~/Qt5_build/qt5$ gedit qtbase/mkspecs/devices/linux-imx6-g++/qmake.conf
    Cannot open display:
    Run 'gedit --help' to see a full list of available command line options.

Sorry if my mistake is obvious, but I'm in the very beggining of UDOO and Linux.

19. nicola

nicola Member

Are you trying to use this command throught a ssh connection?
    The command is meant to be executed on the desktop PC you are using to cross-compile.

20. mkopack

mkopack Member

Yeah, what nicola said... gedit is a graphical text editor (ie, you have to run it on the X desktop). If you are just SSH'ed in and only have a text display connection to your Udoo, that won't work.

You can set up VNC Server on the UDOO and then do a VNC connection to teh Udoo's desktop, then open a terminal on the Udoo desktop and run that command and it'll work.