Udoo Buttons

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by KelleyMcChes, Mar 17, 2014.

1. KelleyMcChes

KelleyMcChes New Member

Hello everyone,

I was wondering what the buttons on the UDOO are for. I have the UDOO Quad with the starter kit. My board has what looks like two buttons: A small one with RST (reset?) and a large one with PWb (I don't know what this one is). If anyone could tell me what these buttons do and how to use them that would be great!

P.S. Could you please explain how to use the external battery also.

Thanks! -Kelley

2. peter247

peter247 New Member

The small one is like it say it resets the main quad part of the board , The other I guess is just a gpio because I can`t get it to do anything .

3. KelleyMcChes

KelleyMcChes New Member

The problem is that I need to know what the big button is... If anyone else knows what this is for, could you please tell me. Thanks!

4. Mikeee

Mikeee Member

Checking the schematics shows the large button is connected to D12 which is ON/OFF control of SNVS. The IMX6DQ manual Chapter 57 gives a complete explanation of this Secure Non-Volatile Storage and the use of the button. I will have to read this chapter a couple of more times before it sinks in completely. If you shut down Linux on Udoo using the Shutdown drop down menu you could power up the board again using this button. At least that's the way it worked when I first got my udoo board. Now it doesn't seem to function that way. Why? Not sure.

5. peter247

peter247 New Member

Where is the IMX6DQ manual ?,

6. Mikeee

Mikeee Member

7. peter247

peter247 New Member

I`ve read the schematics , page 4 I think , and like you say it goes to D12 the ON/OFF , but not raed anywhere what that pin is for.

More rading in store I guess !!!!

8. Mikeee

Mikeee Member

That link to the manual is just for a 4 page pamphlet. The link below is for the actual Processor Application Manual. Its over 5000 pages so be prepared for a lot of reading.

http://cache.freescale.com/files/32bit/doc/ref_manual/IMX6DQRM.pdf?fpsp=1

I'm amazed at the complexity of this processor. it really makes me appreciate how much work has been done to get to this point with UDOO.

9. KelleyMcChes

KelleyMcChes New Member

That's very interesting... So the large button is basically a power button? If so, is there a way to use that with the external battery?

10. Mikeee

Mikeee Member

Well more precisely its an On/Off button for the SNVS circuit not physical power connection to the board. There is much about this circuit I don't understand but it appears it could be used to start a wakeup process that recovers data from SNVS (Secure Non-Volatile Storage). It will take more reading to understand how to implement that process. Its a really big manual!

11. KelleyMcChes

KelleyMcChes New Member

Is it possible to physically turn on the UDOO with it though?

12. Mikeee

Mikeee Member

The short answer is No. Its a momentary type of button that is used to create a pulse not to physically connect power.

13. KelleyMcChes

KelleyMcChes New Member

Is there another way I can wire up the UDOO to have a power button with the external battery? (no wall power source)

14. Mikeee

Mikeee Member

Take a look at these schematics from the download area.

http://udoo.org/download/files/schematics/UDOO_REV_D_schematics.pdf

Page 2 has the 12V DC at CN22. TS65 component close to this connector is what protects the board for voltages over 18V.

Page 3 you can find connector J1 DC external battery connector. This is or a 3V coin cell or similar for the RTC circuit. Do not exceed 3V

Page 15 you can find J25 labeled Internal 12VDC Power Supply. This connector is found on the board near the Lan Connector and WiFi module and is labled DC-in. This where an external 12V battery can be connected. Never connect a wall wart type of supply because of the possibility of exceeding 12V. This connector is not voltage protected. Battery connection only.

So you have two places to connect a battery. DC Connector CN22 or DC in J25.

15. mkopack

mkopack Member

And of course, you COULD just wire inline to the +12V line from the battery a SPST on/off power switch.

16. Mikeee

Mikeee Member

Exactly. Perhaps I gave Kelley too much information.