Udoo Neo and QML (FB/OpenGL)

Discussion in 'UDOO NEO' started by oxoocoffee, Dec 13, 2016.

1. oxoocoffee

oxoocoffee Member

Hello,

I am researching QML/QtQuick 2 on Udoo Noe Full. I am interested only in developing full screen apps. As of not I have UDOObuntu 2.1.1 Minimal running and configured to my needs.
    Can some one share his inside if it is possible and how to build Qt 5.7?

1. Do you build on board or cross compile?
    2. Installation steps? Can I just get later 5.7 sources and build it? Any patches?
    3. Your configure parameters to enable EGS

I am intending to use external touch screen (it is Dell screen)

2. modjo

modjo Active Member

See yocto project for this ...

graugans likes this.
  3. Maurice

Maurice Active Member

I actually don't know for the UDOO Neo, as I use it 'embedded'. However, I also own a UDOO Quad, and on that I have a Yocto build running (using JavaFX). The version I have doesn't support the touch part of the touch screen. Not @graugans' fault, as I didn't take this up.

graugans likes this.
  4. modjo

modjo Active Member

I will post an image of Qt5.7 for neo when i have the time ...

5. modjo

modjo Active Member

6. jas-mx

jas-mx Active Member

Having run QML on the NEO, in my experience you may find performance is a problem (especially at higher resolutions eg 1280x720) when your wanting the A9 to do both GUI updates and application processing.

7. modjo

modjo Active Member

Not specially, QML use scene Graph --> openGl. Normaly if you build find Qt (and design your app), the GUI use principally the GPU and you can use cpu for other process ... Algo in c++ and IHM in QML (don't you javascript for algo !). And now since qt5.6 you can use qtquickcontrols2 that is designed for embedded system . But if you would like to decode/encode video, 3D it's preferable to use a quad version ...

8. jas-mx

jas-mx Active Member

Don't agree, if you look at QML implementation under the covers and the GPU capabilities (+ DDR bus) of im6sx you will find its not particularly spectacular. Your also missing the point that the even for GUI the processing is CPU + GPU (not just GPU) as the data has to be transferred between the two over the bus. Regardless if you develop in C++ or not. Furthermore (on the Neo) if push too much to the GPU then there is a risk you slow your M4 code as the bus is shared.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2016