udoo x86 advance plus wih 2 ampere power supply can't detect harddisk

Discussion in 'UDOO X86' started by moko, Oct 23, 2017.

1. moko

moko New Member

hi,
    first time post here. been using my udoo x86 advance plus for couple of months without problems. i used emmc to install windows 10. today i decided to add a 1 tb WD blue 3.5 " harddisk but it didn't recognise it. even bios can't detect my new harddisk.

fyi my power supply is only 2 ampere. it's the one that i got from udoo because they said they ran out of the original 3 ampere ones but i got an acrylic case as a compensation.

could it be i'm running out of power here ? can anyone give solution for my problem ?

thanks in advance.

2. fabio978

fabio978 Member

Is the hdd connected to the "internal" SATA or to the USB connector? At the moment i have a 320GB hdd attached to the SATA connector and it's working fine. I think i have the 3A power supply (i have to check it)

3. itimpi

itimpi UDOOer

If you want to use a 3.5” Disk then it needs to be externally powered. The UDOO cannot power such disks (regardless of which UDOO power supply you use).

Markus Laire likes this.
  4. moko

moko New Member

@fabio978 : sory, forgot to mention it. my new WD blue hard disk is connected with SATA cable + power cable from UDOO. before this i use 500 gb seagate external hard disk using usb. but iirc sometimes my seagate also disappear after i click it from windows explorer but then appear again. maybe a burst of current demand when clicking it made voltage drop ?

@itimpi : you are correct. when they try the hard disk in the store they use hard disk docking with usb-powered from laptop and it works fine. maybe i'll try to get self-powered hard disk docking.

5. itimpi

itimpi UDOOer

A key point is that the UDOO SATA connector only provides power at 5V which is normally enough for Notebook SsD or 2.5” drives drives, but not for 3.5” drives that nearly always require 12v as well.

Markus Laire likes this.
  6. ccs_hello

ccs_hello UDOOer