Udoo x86 Ultra Ubuntu installation failed

Discussion in 'UDOO X86' started by Denes Hogya, Aug 15, 2017.

1. Denes Hogya

Denes Hogya New Member

Hi!

I am new to the forum. I want to use my new udoo with Ubuntu 16.04. I created a USB installation stick using Ubuntu from the official 16.04.3 image (x64 version). When starting up I can choose from the boot menu (either try linux or install it) but then (independently from what I choose) the boot up fails. It either ends with a frozen (not even blinking) cursor in the top left corner or a black screen. I tried this many times with different images (even 17.04) without any success. Maybe someone has some ideas? I use an external monitor with DP connection (no HDMI, i even disabled that in the boot menu) and an external USB hub for the keyboard and mouse. When booting I get an error message regarding watchdog (platform wdat_wdt not available), maybe that helps.

2. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

3. Denes Hogya

Denes Hogya New Member

Hi, thanks for the answer. I used ubuntu linux to create the installation media, I do not use windows (but I also did it on Mac with the same result).

In the meantime, however, I managed to find a workaround. Apparently the problem has something to do with the video card, because the option nomodeset helped me to get past the black screen, but I have to use it on the installed Udoo as well, otherwise it won't start.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
    Denes

4. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

5. Denes Hogya

Denes Hogya New Member

Yes, I did. But I am not sure it made any difference...

6. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

Looks like the firmware has an issue with your monitor. Can you connect another type of monitor (TV?) on this port to test??
    The same happens with some hdmi monitors.
    Did you update the UEFI firmware?

7. Ryan Lewkowicz

Ryan Lewkowicz New Member