Using DynamixShield with UDOO Neo Board

Discussion in 'UDOO NEO' started by Reem AlJunaid, Mar 22, 2017.

1. Reem AlJunaid

Reem AlJunaid New Member

Can I use DynamixShield with UDOO Neo Board?

I want to control AX-12A motor using UDOO neo board?

Like this video:

2. jas-mx

jas-mx Active Member

It depends, if you want to interface via the serial port on the DynamixShield then it should be possible because it should be 3.3v tolerant. There are 2 serial ports on the DynamixShield, you may only have one serial port available on the neo depending whether you expect to use both the M4 (Adrduino) and A9 (Linux) processors.

3. Reem AlJunaid

Reem AlJunaid New Member

I just want to control 12 motors using some sensors on a software that displayed on UDOO screen.
    I think I only need M4 (Adrduino). In my senario, do you think I will need the A9 (Linux) processor?
    I am new in this field, could you clarify to me when I may need it?

4. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

This DynamixShield won't fit on an Udoo Neo because it is designed for an Arduino Due which has a lot more i/o Pins. If you want to use this shield you have to use an Udoo Dual or Quad. In these boards an Arduino Due is build in. http://www.udoo.org/docs/Introduction/Introduction.html

5. Reem AlJunaid

Reem AlJunaid New Member

So how can I control the motors without this shield?

6. jas-mx

jas-mx Active Member

This is not completely true the DynamixSheild initially was designed to implement half duplex serial support for the motors. The additional i/o lines were brought out to support standard grove connectors. So if the follow the schematics you can wire up the neo pins to the grove connectors that you require.

7. Reem AlJunaid

Reem AlJunaid New Member

So what exactlly I need to have to do this?

8. jas-mx

jas-mx Active Member

This is not completely true the DynamixSheild initially was designed to implement half duplex serial support for the motors. The additional i/o lines were brought out to support standard grove connectors. So if the follow the schematics you can wire up the neo pins to the grove connectors that you require. It has been used with other SBCs.

If you are new to this field, I would suggest starting with a Arduino board, you may face too many hurdles with the neo if your expecting the Arduino side to work out of the box.

9. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

Or use an Udoo Dual.