Virtual Udoo Environment.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by problemer, May 5, 2014.

1. problemer

problemer New Member

Hello,

i'm looking for information regarding setting upp a virtual udoo environment. I would like to try the Debian wheezy distribution in a virtual machine, anyone done this before?
    I'm running Ubuntu och a x86 machine.
    Best Regards
    Problemer

2. ektor5

ektor5 Administrator Staff Member

Hi Problemer,

I've been working on this just yesterday, and I didn't saw your post! What a coincidence...

Before I answer your question, I have to ask you what you really want from a virtualization.

In fact, there isn't an available VM for the machine "UDOO", or for a i.MX6 processor in qemu. That means that you'll be unable to use your UDOO kernel/uboot. This also means that there will not be any Arduino, GPIO, Vivante (GPU). JFYI.

But. If you just want to boot a linux distribution compiled for armv7, like our debian wheezy, you can do it virtualizing a cortex-a9 processor like Versatile Express. How to do it? It's simple. Using qemu, a pre-compiled kernel for that board, and your debian distro for UDOO.

First, you have to install qemu on your machine.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install qemu
    Done it?
    Download/compile a working kernel for vexpress. The one in http://crux-arm.nu/SupportedDevices/Vexpress is ready to use.

Now create a folder and put the kernel (zImage) and the Debian Wheezy image inside it. Go inside it and then execute
    Code:
    qemu-system-arm -M vexpress-a9 -cpu cortex-a9 -m 1024 -kernel zImage* -append "rw console=ttyAMA0 console=tty root=/dev/mmcblk0p1" -smp 2 -sd debian.img
    Success!

Note: If you don't have got an image, you can either use the SD that you're using on your UDOO, plugging it into your pc ( substitute debian.img with /dev/sdc e.g.), create one from scratch with qemu-img (further details in the previous link) or copy the entire SD to disk with
    Code:
    dd if=/dev/sdc of=debian.img bs=1M
    Note2: No GUI? You have to edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf in the image, probably. Substitute "vivante" driver with the "fbdev" one in the "Device" Section. Reboot.
    Code:
    sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    Enjoy, Ek5

3. problemer

problemer New Member

Thanks! but i solved it earlier. QEMU.

4. abhi

abhi New Member

Thank you very much for the detailed information.
    I am facing some issues related to the gui, after changing the Xorg.conf to the fbdev, there is only black screen.
    Please let me know how to fix it.

Thanks

5. abhi

abhi New Member

Hi,
    I wanted to use the USB device in the QEMU. How to enable them.

Thanks
    Abhi

6. Riccardo Zamuner

Riccardo Zamuner New Member

Hi guys,

very interesting this solution. I've test it with debian image and it works, but it doesn't work with udoobuntu 12.04.
    I've always the following error
    Code:
    init: ureadahead main process (576) terminated with status 5

Any suggestion ?
    Thanks in advanced

Ric

7. whitakeshriram

whitakeshriram UDOOer

I am facing some issues related to the gui, after changing the Xorg.conf to the fbdev, there is only black screen.