Want to use x86 for custom laptop, height restrictions

Discussion in 'UDOO X86' started by Zach Shaw, Sep 20, 2017.

1. Zach Shaw

Zach Shaw New Member

I'm wanting to build a custom computer out of an old macbook case, using the macbook display and keyboard(both are working with a raspberry pi as of right now). The only issue is the lack of height in the case. I literally have 2cm to work with. A raspberry pi fits, and from what I know a x86 would fit too, except one issue: the heatsink. I'm wondering if anyone has any clever ideas (fans, custom heatsinks etc) to get around this issue to keep the ability of using an x86 but able to fit in said case.

Thanks!

2. tuxun

tuxun Member

sorry in advance for not so clever question but:
    1) why not make a hole in the case?

2) if used with a fan, the heatsink could be too big and may be replaced

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
  3. Zach Shaw

Zach Shaw New Member

Thanks for the reply, I think your second idea might be the best idea. Does anyone know of smaller heatsinks I could use to replace it with?

4. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

I would change the heatsink (buy a new lower one or just shorten the existing one). Make sure you have a cpu fan available!

5. Zach Shaw

Zach Shaw New Member

Thanks! Yeah I've been looking up custom heatsinks and was able to find a datasheet on the existing heatsink so that works wonderfully. The only piece of information I'm lacking right now is the height of the board without the heatsink on it. So from m2 to top of ethernet im guessing? I tried to use the 3d model on the website but cant seem to get it working. If anyone knows this height I'd be grateful!

6. Markus Laire

Markus Laire Active Member

About 24.5 mm (manually measured from by board - PCB + Ethernet is about 16mm and m2 is 8.5mm under PCB).

waltervl likes this.
  7. zaskaraska

zaskaraska New Member

Hi! I want yo build something similar :) What MacBook case are you using? Pre-Unibody? I know the trackpad and keyboard USB mod in those models, but no idea how to do It in unibody laptops.
    How do you connect the display?
    Thanks!

8. Alfred

Alfred New Member