What fan are people using with the Acrylic Case?

Discussion in 'UDOO X86' started by Jake, May 18, 2017.

1. Jake

Jake UDOOer

Hey,

As the title suggests, can someone link the fan people are buying that fits in with the acrylic case?

Jacob

2. ImLagging

ImLagging Member

You can buy any 30mm x 30mm x 10mm fan. It will fit perfectly on the heatsink. Just use a few screws (usually included) to secure it. Just don't over tighten. The only issue will be that the onboard connector is smaller then the standard connector for PC fans. So you'll either need to cut it off and directly attach the wires to the GPIO or use an external power source of some type to power the fan. What you lose with this is the ability to control the speed of the fan. Otherwise, you can make an adapter for the fan to connect to the onboard connector. Take a look at this like to see how I made my own. https://www.udoo.org/forum/threads/how-to-fan-adapter-cable.7081/

3. mkopack

mkopack Member

Jake, it's less a question of the fan and more one of the connection to the board (which uses a non-standard for this application connector on the board.)

You have a couple options:
    1) wait for Udoo to start shipping theirs (which really is just option #2 pre-done for you..)

2) See https://www.udoo.org/forum/threads/how-to-fan-adapter-cable.7081/ to order the parts from Mouser.com to make your own adaptor cable to convert the connector on the board to a more standard 3-pin MB fan connector. This is the better, albeit slightly more costly solution, but it will allow the fan to throttle as needed.

3) Get any normal 2 wire 12V fan and hook it into the 12V and ground pins on the Arduino pinout headers on the board (which is what I did to get started.) It'll run the fan at 100% all the time, but will keep everything cool and will work.

Holding whatever fan you choose to use onto the board/HS is the other issue. I made a little 3D printed bracket to hold my fan down on top of the HS, which slides down around the corners of the HS to hold everything in place. In #1 and #2 they use screws which grab onto the corner fins of the HS.

Hope this helps.