What is new?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by simmisj, Apr 8, 2014.

1. simmisj

simmisj New Member

Hi.
    I put my Udoo to the side a little less than an year ago and I was just wondering if there have been some major updates and if so, then what are the biggest changes?

I have also been thinking about uses for my Udoo and I came across this website: http://antminers.co.uk/ . I thought about learning about how bitcoin mining works by buying one of those U2 Antminer and running it on my Udoo.
    Any reason why that would NOT work on Udoo? (They specifically mention Raspberry Pi not Udoo).

Thanks

2. peter247

peter247 New Member

Wow , I didn`t think the udoo was kickstarted until late April 2013 and I was only just able to get one.

The Raspberry is the most popular development out there , but it doesn`t mean it won`t run on any other board , in fact if it runs on the raspberry it will most lately run on the udoo unless you need to add something to the kernel etc.

3. simmisj

simmisj New Member

I can't remember when I got mine. I just said some estimation on when I thought I got mine.
    It is probably closer to 6 months when I think about it.

Okay. I will try to set up the software on Udoo when I get home today. "If it works on Raspberry Pi, it works on Udoo (most likely)" I like that. :)

4. mkopack

mkopack Member

Well, like everything else "it depends"....

If it's something designed specifically for the Pi's GPIO it might or might not work since the GPIOs are arranged differently on the Udoo. If it's strictly software, then for the most part it should be able to work (unless, as noted above it needs a special kernal module or driver). the Udoo is a good bit faster CPU-wise than the Pi, so that bodes well also.

5. DracoLlasa

DracoLlasa UDOOer

Most of the cryptocurrency mining solutions that using ASICs (antminer is an ASIC), do it through a standard USB connection. What you will need to do is just see if the software that runs on the Pi will run on the UDOO also. That said those antminers unless you are doing it just for fun dont bother. Unless you are going to spend literally thousands on hardware you will NOT make any money doing bitcoin mining.
    If you are interested in cryptocurrencies there are ways to make money still with scrypt, scrypt-n, and similar coins such as litecoin. they are just now starting to use ASICs in that area also which could be controlled by a Pi or possibly an UDOO.

Frankly the use of an UDOO to run a set of ASICs is a severe waste of its abilities. People use the Pis because they are very low power and very low cost..
    Feel free to PM me if you want to talk cryptocurrencies, as i do stuff with with this and can share some info, its just not really applicable to the forums

As for what is new with UDOO, first off, they didn't start reaching backers until late last year, so its more likely its been sitting for ~6 months, not a year..
    Hardware wise, no new revisions have been made so that's all the same.
    Software wise, a lot of progress has been made. Much more reliable system images are ready for general use. The 2 main Linux Distributions would be Ubuntu (Linaro) and Debian. I do believe hardware float has been enabled in both (maybe just debian).
    A lot of the early issues with the video output and arduino IDE have been resolved, power issues have been resolved, memory usage and cpu usage issues all resolved. The images now are rather good.

On the Android side UDOO just released the Android 4.3 images so that's a nice step forward.

On the unofficial side, if you review the forums you will see people have been doing a lot with UDOO from XBMC and related media center setups, ROS and various robotics, a few home automation solutions, PLC solutions have been discussion and numerous other things.

Since UDOO has been such good progress stabilizing the software/OS, its really now becoming more for the community to use the hardware and show off whats been done. Not that UDOO is finished, they still have lots of new things they are working on and improving all the time. But at this point the UDOO is a very capable hardware and software development ready for all kinds of things.

6. peter247

peter247 New Member

ASICs ?.

Not heard of them , I heard the best way to crack hashes is with the use of hardware and not software using FPGA chips.

7. DracoLlasa

DracoLlasa UDOOer

Similar, ASIC Stands for application specific integrated circuit.. Basically hardware designed for a specific application based purpose. Those antminers are ASICS so are the older usb block erupters.. FPGAs (field programmable gate arrays) are similar in that they are hardware made in a very general away allowing them to be programmed on the fly for a wide variety of purposes. Some of the high end FPGA have been used successfully in hashing the SHA-256 cryptography used in bitcoin mining. Scrypt and scrypt-n based cryptocurrencies are a bit more ASIC resistant but not proof. ASICS are now in play for scrypt hashing. Scrypt-n allows the cryptography algorithms to be modified making any mass produced ASICSs useless.. Point is there will likely always be a place for GPU based mining using high end cards. But the UDOO and smaller boards like it are only of any use in controlling mining hardware, not to do the mining itself. Anyways.. As i mentioned thats all off topic please PM me if you want to discuss details further or you can start a new thread, just label it off topic. As part of the community team part of my job is to keep some order and organization in the forums :)