Which Debian release to use?

Discussion in 'Debian' started by lindsayhorner, Mar 26, 2014.

1. lindsayhorner

lindsayhorner New Member

Hi

Really enjoying my Udoo, but I'm a bit confused about which Debain release I should use. Basically I want something with reasonably low overhead, and I need a (simple) GUI. Currently I'm on the Debian Wheezy ARMHF beta1, but I'm wondering whether this debian-images-dual-and-quad-t251.html would be more stable and a better long term option? Or this: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=693?

I guess what I am after is a pros/cons list of these releases!

I would just stick with the Wheezy ARMHF beta but the fact its a beta makes me a little nervous... does anyone know when there will be another beta or a final release?

Thanks in advance
    Lindsay

2. peter247

peter247 New Member

I could not find any problems with the Debian Wheezy ARMHF beta1 image, I ran it full time on my udoo until it died , unrelated to any software I was running by the way.
    The image just needs a little tweaking like add the interfaces to the /etc/network/interfaces file , after that I didn`t see any problem installing any packages etc , all stable.

I like to build my images from base up , that way I know every package which is installed and can customise it my needs , which is 100% headless and gui via tightvnc

Wheezy is the stable release and Jessie is the unstable or testing version , package have to be left a while to remove the bugs before they finish up in the stable release , were new and cutting edge stuff goes in testing / unstable release,

3. AntennaSmith

AntennaSmith New Member

I originally imaged the Wheezy ARMHF beta and ran it headless. I saw a lot of kernel panics http://www.udoo.org/forum/debian-lxde-kernel-oops-panic-t1134.html which seem to be related to the vivante DRM module. I had left it in because at some point I will hook-up a display and want to use them. I also saw kernel panics with the first unbuntu LTS http://www.udoo.org/forum/total-freeze-udoo-quad-t988-10.html.

Since the above I've tried both http://www.udoo.org/forum/debian-jessie-rootfs-with-gpu-vpu-t693.html and the ubuntu LTS v2.1 and found them both very stable. I'm currently still having problems getting the ardunio IDE to work on Debian Jessie. I would recommend jas-mx's debian jessie image if you don't want to build your own.

Bottomline: IMHO expect to have to tweak anything you use and struggle through getting everything to work (unless you have experience building your own like peter247)

4. lindsayhorner

lindsayhorner New Member

Hi

Thanks for your comments. I guess I am more interested in building things than spending ages fighting my OS, so perhaps its just a case of waiting a little while for the platforms to mature! I might even go back to 12.04 LTS and try and get node.js working on that.

Thanks again
    Lindsay

5. moorsb

moorsb New Member

I do not understand why the OS is taking so long to get something stable. Perhaps they should just release a basic package that has all of the hardware working solid. I looked at the driver page in the download section and they do not post any of the hardware linux drivers.