Which V8 Power Connector?

Discussion in 'UDOO BOLT' started by LDighera, Mar 11, 2019.

1. LDighera

LDighera UDOOer

2. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

3. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

@ccs_hello a;ready did someresearch (in the comments of that kickstarter update:

4. ccs_hello

ccs_hello UDOOer

Recent update from UDOO may be very confusing.
    I am guessing the attached picture should be right (the industry way),
    45-29_plug.gif
    while UDOO said the "center pin ..."

LDighera likes this.
  5. LDighera

LDighera UDOOer

I'd like to order a V8 from Mouser (as it's currently not possible to purchase one from Udoo directly or through Kickstarter), but Mouser doesn't offer a power supply for it, nor specifically compatible DDR4-2133 Single Channel Memory RAM modules. Lacking this information, I'm prevented from moving forward with my purchase.

I looked at the power supply and adapter to which you provided eBay item numbers (183301986663 and 113553773925) in the comments on Kickstarter, but they had expired, and it was unclear specifically the parameters of what's required.

This Kickstarter update addresses DC power jack connector: "The necessary mating DC plug is a Singatron with part number 45P06CV230-1A00-01 or equivalent."

This Kickstarter update indicates that it is possible to power the V8 with a USB Type-C PD (ver. 3.0) cable. Is this Graphene USB C PD Power Bank, 5000mAh compatible? Given this power consumption (19V through DC power jack CN4) table, it would appear that it may work, as maximum current draw is <2 Amps.

So, lacking adequate information to feel comfortable making the purchase, I guess I'm forced to wait, and wait...

6. ccs_hello

ccs_hello UDOOer

That Graphene 5000mAh PD (capable of 20V 2.25A) most likely will work, if supplying to UDOO Bolt using its USB-C output port.
    But I feel it's too pricey for a 5Ah unit.
    --> will not work for UDOO Bolt's coaxial connector

Re: 4.5 x 2.9mm (with center pin) DC connector
    I can always find the product link. However, I am holding the info since UDOO's disclosure on its own spec seems to be at odd with industry standard (which is center pin is signal pin.)
    <-- Not difficult to modify but no longer a turn-key solution and will look ugly

7. ccs_hello

ccs_hello UDOOer

LDighera likes this.
  8. LDighera

LDighera UDOOer

Thank you for the link to a UL listed battery bank with four times the power and one fourth the price. Although manufactured in China, it does appear to ship from California: https://www.ebay.com/itm/254033872103

⚡ Product Main Specification ⚡
    USB Type-C PD Port : In-put / Out-put Charging ( You need to charging this power bank via this USB type c port. )
    5V / 3A
    9V / 3A
    12V / 3A
    14.5V / 2.5A
    20V / 2.25A

9. LDighera

LDighera UDOOer

So, it's the lack of a proper coaxial power connector that leads you to believe the Graphene USB C PD Power Bank will not power the V8? I presume this is because the V8 requires additional connections absent on that power bank, right? You must have found a lot more V8 technical information than I was able to locate. Udoo seems to be withholding schematics and drawings at this time.
    Are you able to provide a link to Udoo's disclosed V8 specifications to which you refer?

10. ccs_hello

ccs_hello UDOOer

Ans 1
    A USB PD power bank supplies power thru its USB-C (or USB type-B port.) It does not have other output plug format (and even if so, still need the PD trigger to get it to output the proper voltage, in the case of BOLT, it needs to be 20 or 19V.)

Ans 2
    Recent BOLT update in KS page stated "internal pin" is the power supply positive.
    Well, in my terminology, there is an "internal ring" (industry standard is for power-positive) and there is a "center pin" (industry standard is for signal/control channel pin.)

LDighera likes this.
  11. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

@Laura Can you please confirm this drawing? Or make a correct one as terminology is confusing us what is the correct implementation of the power connector's connections.

LDighera likes this.
  12. LDighera

LDighera UDOOer

Thank you for your insight into the issue. It is my belief that something like this can be made to provide the 20 Volt trigger signal by pressing its button the appropriate number of times. Here is another similar Type C device. And, here is a trigger-only option (image attached). Do you concur? (It is possible that newer, more compatible items like these are now available; I have not done deep research into that.)

Of course, there is still the issue of connector compatibility that will doubtless require some adapters.

Yes. Without additional information from Udoo, it's going to be difficult to get it correct. It would also be good if Udoo provided the specified power input voltage range, or at least confirmed that 20 Volts is within that spec.

Thank you very much for sharing your knowledge.

PS: I submitted a request for Mouser to provide links on their Udoo V8 page for compatible power supplies and DDR4 modules.

13. ccs_hello

ccs_hello UDOOer

re: USB-C trigger

- you'll need USB-C type trigger, not the classic USB type-A type (which is using QC2 or QC3, not PD protocol)
    - you'll need pre-stored setting type (or by set thru fixed dip switches), not push-button type
    <-- latter will step thru various voltage steps; this could upset the BOLT (* need to give it a stable voltage)

14. LDighera

LDighera UDOOer

Thank you for the information.

I purchased the Emigvela 20000mAh Power Bank Portable Charger Battery Type-C PD4001 45W you recommended, and will power the V8 through the USB C PD connector bypassing the poorly documented V8 power connector.

The next issue is to identify V8 compatible DDR4-2133 Single Channel Memory RAM modules. Has Udoo issued any guidance?

15. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

From the kickstarter updates:

LDighera likes this.
  16. LDighera

LDighera UDOOer

@waltervl Thank you for your very informative information. Are you able to provide a link to the source of this level of technical information for the V8 board?

Although many suppliers are out of stock, I found these sources for 8/16 GB RAM modules:

Transcend 16 GB DDR4 2400 SO-DIMM Computer Internal Memory (TS2GSH64V4B)
    Transcend 16GB DDR4 (2x8GB) Laptop RAM Memory 2133MHz 260pin SoDimm TS1GSH64V1H

However, given the discussion ongoing in this thread, and the apparent delay in Udoo's promised shipping date for V8 boards, I'm growing concerned about Udoo's continued viability and ability to actually deliver and support their V8 product.

17. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

Well the delay from kickstarter project is almost the same as the Udoo X86 delay when that board was announced on kickstarter. So communication of the Udoo team is on the same level (without my opinion). It is a small team so it looks like during a kickstarter project the forum has low priority. I have seen this before.

Also communication about the new device is mainly through the kickstarter project updates and comments. Which is a pitty as this forum is a better medium for controlling the questions. So as long as there is no documentation online you have to go through all the kickstarter updates and comments. In the next update they announced the memory banks:
    https://www.kickstarter.com/project...he-maker-world-to-the-next-leve/posts/2389650

LDighera likes this.
  18. LDighera

LDighera UDOOer

@waltervl Thank you very much for that link to the January 17, 2019 Kickstarter update. There is some detailed information there. Unfortunately, it appears there may also be some errors and omissions. For example, the two posts on that page quoted below raise enough questions to prevent me from committing to the DMM modules mentioned by the Udoo team in that update. Is single-channel memory (for which I understand the V8 was designed) compatible with using two memory

Simon Spencer on January 20, 2019

When I read the part numbers for each so-dimm, I immediately noticed you'd made a mistake in quoting them. After checking with a supplier, I found only one part number for a pair.

I have, therefore, listed these below with the correct part numbers - I couldn't find a kit anywhere listed as a pair of 16GB modules:

1x4GB = TS512MSH64V4H
    1x8GB = TS1GSH64V4B
    2x8GB (ECC) = TS2GSH72V4B
    1x16GB = TS2GSH64V4B

I am quite disappointed as well I may have to wait until next year (at least) until I see my pledge, but I still want it, so I'll just have to put up with the delay.

Vincenzo on February 6, 2019
    Hi everyone

32GB has 2x TS2GSH64V4B. This kit don't seem to be a Transcend's kit
    In other word we'll use two memory module that don't belong ad unique kit. Usually, the 2 sticks in the same kit are guaranteed to work together as a pair.
    In my modest opinion in order to minimize the problem of matched pair it is useful that the two modules are of the same lot and possibly produced sequentially.

Cheers​

19. ccs_hello

ccs_hello UDOOer

Good news:
    (1) BOLT schematics here: http://download.udoo.org/files/UDOO_BOLT/schematics/UDOO_BOLT_SCHEMA_se0c40b7.pdf
    UDOO has always been good on this department.

On schematics page 16, upper left corner, (1)(2) are power_positive and (3)(4) are power_negative (while #5 is not used.)
    Based on connector drawing (I used 2DC3122-002112F as the example), (1)(2) should be inner ring and (3)(4) should be outer ring.
    <-- in datasheet, (1)(2) are Spring(+), (3)(4) are Spring (-), #5 is SIGNAL

Don't take my words as granted, however may treat them as educated guesses.

LDighera likes this.
  20. ccs_hello

ccs_hello UDOOer