Will the screens work with other SBC's?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by WelshMikey, May 11, 2014.

1. WelshMikey

WelshMikey New Member

I have been looking at SBC's lately and the one that seems best suited to my needs is the odroid U3, problem is I also want a screen and the best value one I have come across so far is this one:

http://shop.udoo.org/eu/video-kit-15-6.html

Is this designed to work only with the udoo? Or will it work on the odroid u3 also?

http://www.hardkernel.com/main/products ... 8745696275

If it doesn't then I may have to buy a udoo quad instead but it is a lot pricer than the U3 and lower spec. I am not a programmer, just a bit of a geek i guess and want a light weight computer i can take everywhere. It might also make a nice compact addition to my movie projector at some point in the future.

2. peter247

peter247 New Member

With standards like USB , sata , ide , it`s easy because it`s a full standard and you know that all the connecters will be the same.
    But with LVDS panels it is just the method used to pass data to the panel (Low-voltage differential signaling ) , so I don`t think it`s that easy because there is no standard plug used for all panels. If you get to know you the pin-out of the panel and board and it`s compatible you may be lucky , that`s if the boards uboot or kernel supports it.

3. WelshMikey

WelshMikey New Member

Thank you for your information. It may turn out that the udoo is the cheaper option then once I have it set up the way I want it. Although it is lower spec the GPU appears better.

4. peter247

peter247 New Member

For me I`m waiting for my goldilocks panel to come along , because a 7 inches panel is too small and the 15.6 inches panel is too large , I would like to have a panel around a 10 to 12 inches.
    I can`t say what the graphic performance is like on any SBC because I run them headless , but from I tables I`ve owned graphic performance is been the problem trying to get it to play a 1080p mkv .

5. WelshMikey

WelshMikey New Member

10 to 12 inch would be ideal for me also, i tried a google search for goldilocks panel but couldn't find anything, do you have a link?

As for the graphics on paper atleast it seems better, but then that doesn't always mean anything, the rasberry pi is a lower power machine than most sbc's but i am surprised what developers have managed to squeeze out of it.