Windows on Udoo

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by the1cyrus, Dec 17, 2013.

1. the1cyrus

the1cyrus New Member

Hello,

This might be a dumb question but could someone please explain to me why windows cannot be installed on Udoo?

2. Lifeboat_Jim

Lifeboat_Jim New Member

Try googling for a copy of Windows for ARM (aka RT), you wont find one for sale.

If you could find one it wouldn't run, many flavours of ARM architectures. Microsoft dont release source code (actually the do release parts of it under very strict and controlled situations, and only to key partners).

3. Flint

Flint New Member

How about support for Linux Mint (Cinnemon) then, it is a much easier transition to Linux from Windows.

4. francescomm

francescomm Member

Just

sudo apt-get install windows

:D

5. matthias

matthias New Member

hi,

unfortunately, udoo, beeing a ARM-platform, does not support any System.

Linux mint does not support the ARM-plattform (at least not at the moment).
    However, i think, also ubuntu should be fine (after a bit of working/testing with it of course) for a Windows-User.

it is a change... but learning something new is always interresting ;-)
    you have to see it as a challange - i know quite a few people starting with linux because of Udoo - and the internet gives many interresting tutorials for it...

6. francescomm

francescomm Member

Cinnamon, is a spinoff of Gnome, inspired to older versions of Gnome, that were cleaner and simpler than new ones.

Here you have a clean version of Gnome, much like the ones Cinnamon is inspired to.

Ubuntu 12.10 with Gnome is really what Mint is trying to be.

The system of the UDOO is more "Minty" than you may expect. And more easy than you'd expect too.

As for windows, please, be happy it can't be installed. Windows kills cool trends and cool stuff.

I was an happy owner of a Eee 701, the original "EeePC" with Linux: it started a whole new market of wonderful little machines (later called netbooks), useful, innovative, cool and funny. That was before people, started asking for: windows, larger monitors, larger keyboards, larger displays. They took a small cool linux computer, and liked it so much, but wanted it larger, bulkier, with windows, giving birth to not-so-cool not-so-small not-so-different and somehow-dumb-and-slow laptops.

There is plenty of hardware running windows, only not here.

7. Flint

Flint New Member

I hear Arduino Galileo might be a good option for windows based machines, any chance of one of those getting introduced in the future?
    (not that really want one, but since the topic is windows....)