[GUIDE] Compile Pure Data Extended on UDOO

Discussion in 'Application & Utilities' started by killkrt, Nov 30, 2013.

1. killkrt

killkrt New Member

Hello everybody!

Since it is not possible to install Pure Data Extended from the repository using the simple apt-get command I've tried to compile it following a mix of guides online and I'd like to share with you how I made it! :x

This procedure should works with PD-Extended 0.43.4 on Ubuntu 12.04 (downloadable here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/ud...tu_img/udoo_quad_ubuntu1204_v2.0.zip/download)

First of all you need to install all the requested dependencies using this command:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install fakeroot ttf-dejavu libfftw3-dev libspeex-dev libvorbis-dev libflac-dev libsndfile1-dev libsamplerate0-dev libgavl-dev libmad0-dev dssi-dev liblo-dev flite1-dev libtk-img tcllib swig tcl8.5-dev tk8.5-dev liblua5.1-0-dev subversion git rsync automake libgsl0-dbg libgsl0-dev libgsl0ldbl gsl-bin libgsl-ruby libgsl-ruby libranlip-dev octave-gsl oggvideotools slang-gsl yorick-yeti-gsl xorg-dev libglu1-mesa-dev autoconf libfftw3-dev liblua5.1-0-dev swig libvorbis-dev ladspa-sdk libspeex-dev libmp3lame-dev lua5.1 tcl-dev dpkg-dev build-essential devscripts build-essential

After that you have to download the source code from here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/pur....4/Pd-extended_0.43.4-source.tar.bz2/download in a folder of your choice, for example ~/Download

Now you can unzip the archive using the command:
    Code:
    cd ~/Download
    tar jxf Pd-extended_0.43.4-source.tar.bz2

Then you have to compile all stuff using:
    Code:
    cd pd-extended/packages/linux_make
    make install

It will takes about one hour or more (I've been playing to "The Stanley Parable" while it was compiling... So I don't exactly how long does it take ;))
    If everything has worked correctly (i.e.: no error in the last lines of the shell) you can create the DEB package using:
    Code:
    make package

It will take about 5 minutes, after that you can finally install it with:
    Code:
    sudo dpkg -i Pd-0.43.4-extended.deb

Now you can launch it from the Gnome interface, you can find it under "Applications->Sounds->Pd-extended"! ;)

I've tested using an external speaker connected to the RCA output (so no test via HDMI) and I noticed that, the first time I've launched it, it freezes for few seconds, then I went on "Media->Audio Settings" changed the "Sample Rate" to 48000 and select as input and output device "vt1613-audio (hardware)".

Honestly I didn't test everything, but for sure the audio output is working and so far this enough for me. I will try to make GEM working, but I think it will be harder! :oops:

2. Lifeboat_Jim

Lifeboat_Jim New Member

Ok, so Pure Data Extended is:

'an open source visual programming language. Pd enables musicians, visual artists, performers, researchers, and developers to create software graphically, without writing lines of code. Pd is used to process and generate sound, video, 2D/3D graphics, and interface sensors, input devices, and MIDI. Pd can easily work over local and remote networks to integrate wearable technology, motor systems, lighting rigs, and other equipment. Pd is suitable for learning basic multimedia processing and visual programming methods as well as for realizing complex systems for large-scale projects'.

Sounds interesting. Many thanks for your work and taking time to come and share your experiences. I'm sure they'll be others out there somewhere that will find this useful.

3. killkrt

killkrt New Member

4. delba

delba Administrator Staff Member

Awesome! Gonna try it asap!!! Thanks

5. delba

delba Administrator Staff Member

Ok i tried and it works!!! There are some drawbacks though, for example it crashes when i try to open Gem.

6. batchku

batchku New Member

Hello,
    I've been playing around quite a bit with PD on the Udoo
    GEM is not compiled for ARM; so you can't use it right now.

There's a new/Udoo optimized GPIO external that myself/miller/david medine have been testing; David Medine @ ucsd is the main developer.
    It works, tho is very limited (no analog inputs, no pwms, no i2c, ...)

overall, i find the audio performance to be very good; MUCH better than an RPi.

what have you tried with PD on Udoo?

7. killkrt

killkrt New Member

This is a great news!
    Could please provide me the link to this on-working version?

Anyway, at the moment I have just tried few things with OSC, just to check if I can use my iPad and phone as a controller for my stuff... And it is working perfectly! :)

I guess that GEM is not working right now because of some issues related to OpenGL. :roll:
    I am not such an expert of OpenGL, but I don't understand why there are a lot of problem to get it working on UDOO. As far as I know UDOO should be equipped with an OpenGL ES 2.0 compatible GPU.
    I hope that soon we will able to resolve all these issues related to OpenGL on UDOO and make a lot of cool things with it!

P.S.:
    Are you working with Miller Puckette? :eek: Respect! :cool:

P.P.S.:
    I know that this is a little O.T., but do you think that it will possible to have a GUI more usable for Pure Data (at least "Snap to grid" and some new graphic controller such as knob, combo,...)

8. batchku

batchku New Member

hi.
    we're working on getting a feasible GPIO extern for the Udoo.
    presently it's based on the rapsberry pi GPIO extern that Miller put together.
    it's hidden in his course site:
    http://msp.ucsd.edu/syllabi/206.13w/index.htm

it woks on the Udoo as is.

the ever-so-slightly updated for Udoo version was made by David Medine (one of miller's students at UCSD)
    i hope to be putting that on github in the next few days.

the pd community, as you likely know, is very fragmented and the most active discussion venue (pd-mailing-list) sub-optimal.
    it'd be great to get all 12 of us in the world that care deeply about pd on Udoo (or Pi for that matter) to have a single place we post things to, interact with others, and share experiences. perhaps this forum will become partly that...

-ali

9. Lifeboat_Jim

Lifeboat_Jim New Member

And why not? UDOO is much more powerful than rPi with many more IO options.

I don't see why a sub-forum couldn't be made for PD, if you get it sorted fully and decide to settle on UDOO for your efforts.

10. batchku

batchku New Member

Hello all,
    We've now put the source/examples for two physical computing Udoo solutions on github:

https://github.com/cmuartfab/Udoo

the 'gpio' extern allows directly control of Udoo pins from within pd
    the 'comport' exptern, based on http://puredata.info/downloads/comport, allows communication to the arudino side of the udoo thru serial

this is work primarily done by David Medine and Miller Puckette.
    we're looking for collaborating developers and testers.

if the Udoo community folks are up for setting up a special branch of the forum for puredata experiments/discussions, it'd be helpful.

-ali

11. maurizio

maurizio Administrator

12. Semionaut

Semionaut New Member

Hello,

I just have found this today and as an artist who uses arduino and pure data I can't believe what I am seeing!! I was just wondering is it possible to call upon audio files on the udoo? I am trying to create a random sampler which also uses GPIO pins to turn parts of an installation on and off. Any info would be great thanks.

13. maurizio

maurizio Administrator

We are going to publish an example of using UDOO with sensors and Pure Data to create a simple Theremin.
    We will post the project on this page:
    http://www.udoo.org/projects/

14. killkrt

killkrt New Member

Hi Semionaut,

I think UDOO could be the solution for you... If with "call upon audio files" you mean "play audio files", the answer is yes of course! You can also record audio since you have an audio input! Furthermore since UDOO has an Arduino Due already integrated in the board you can interface it with all Arduino fancy stuff!

Basically it's like having a mini PC with USB, audio in/out, HDMI, SATA, Wi-Fi, Ethernet, SD Card reader and Arduino Due... So as you can see you can do almost everything you want! ;)

I think it would be great to create a cool portable synth with UDOO + PureData. Actually my idea is to create some strange sampler machine (like Ultraloop from Twisted Tools http://twistedtools.com/shop/reaktor/ultraloop/, they stolen my idea :roll:) bypassing PureData and using C++ and low level library (such as Portaudio), but I need to study a lot before to be able to implementing something like that! :oops:

15. maurizio

maurizio Administrator

16. Semionaut

Semionaut New Member

Thanks killkrt !

I am ordering my Udoo today, this is unbelievably exciting. I love using Pure Data but many times its not feasible to use a laptop in an installation, this is brilliant!

Thanks again.

17. Semionaut

Semionaut New Member

Hello,

So I have been working away with my udoo and pure data. I have successfully created a patch with 9 analog inputs and three switches and three leds using the comport object. I will share my mantric formulator when it's done. For now I am just having some problems with my audio now. I am getting ALSA input and output errors. " ALSA input error (restart failed):Broken pipe" the same for out put and " couldn't sync A/D/A. Has any ones else had this problem in Pure Data and fixed it or does anyone know how to get around it? Any help or info would be greatly appreciated!

18. Semionaut

Semionaut New Member

ok so, I should changed the rate to 48000 (I kept trying down in stead of up!) , start-up errors gone! still some dio errors but much better so far! will try work on them!

19. tuxun

tuxun Member

Hi, We maybe shoud put it on the elinux.org wiki: http://elinux.org/UDOO I'am a french open lab user and I discovered that this tool is very useful to write documentation and how-to! Plus, you can make a category easily

20. alexandros301

alexandros301 Member

BTW, (coming back to the original topic of this thread), you can easily install Pd vanilla (Miller Puckette's original Pure Data version) and compile and install external libraries (it's so much easier on Linux than OS X).
    I'm running Debian Wheezy hard floating point image, downloaded from Udoo's site and I typed 'sudo apt-get install puredata' and Pd got installed in /usr/bin and the libraries in /usr/lib/pd/extra. Which ever external you wanna use, you can just download the source code and the make file (or even use the generic makefile provided in Pd' website, I guess) and compile the objects.
    I'm mentioning this as an alternative to Pd-extended, in case someone has trouble installing it, cause the installation procedure looked a bit cumbersome to me...
    Also, I hope the 48kHz sampling rate fixes the audio drop outs I get with a Focusrite sound card I just bought...I'll check tomorrow, it's too late to make noise now..
    Is everybody running Pd with ALSA here? Or is anyone using Portaudio or Jack?