Failed to get PID of a device on COMx

Discussion in 'UDOO KEY' started by cyberlmt, Sep 1, 2023.

1. cyberlmt

cyberlmt New Member

I installed esp-idf on Windows 10. Version 4.4.1 of the tools was not available in the Git repository to I installed the default version, which installed successfully. I then attempted to flash the blinker program. It failed. The error message is "Failed to get PID of a device on com12, using standard reset sequence." I ran esptool.py to troubleshoot the USB serial com connection. The results were:

C:\Espressif\frameworks\esp-idf-v5.1.1>esptool.py -p com12 flash_id
    esptool.py v4.7.dev1
    Serial port com12
    Connecting...
    Failed to get PID of a device on com12, using standard reset sequence.

Detecting chip type... Unsupported detection protocol, switching and trying again...
    Connecting...
    Failed to get PID of a device on com12, using standard reset sequence.

Detecting chip type... ESP32
    Chip is ESP32-D0WD-V3 (revision v3.0)
    Features: WiFi, BT, Dual Core, 240MHz, VRef calibration in efuse, Coding Scheme None
    Crystal is 40MHz
    MAC: 8c:4b:14:87:a3:f8
    Stub is already running. No upload is necessary.
    Manufacturer: 20
    Device: 4018
    Detected flash size: 16MB
    Hard resetting via RTS pin...

To me it looks like the USB com is communicating with the ESP32 generally but not able to retrieve the PID. I read on several esp-idf forums that the problem is often the Silicon Labs CP210x drivers for Windows. I tried several earlier versions of the drivers, all the way back to 2014, but I got the same result even at reduced baud rates. One posting suggested putting a 1uF capacitor across between pin 3 (EN) and GND on the ESP32 to delay CHIP_PU after boot reset. I'm not quite that ambitious or desperate yet.

Anyone had similar problem flashing the ESP32 from esp-idf on Windows or encountering the failed to get PID error message? Thanks!