UDOO case?

A free place to talk about UDOO

Moderators: DracoLlasa, Lifeboat_Jim, mkopack, ektor5, ekirei, delba, andcmp, gionji

UDOO case?

Postby josolanes » Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:10 pm

Hi,

Has anyone considered building a UDOO case or found something that may work well? I'm not sure about others, but I know I'd be interested!

I'm thinking a case that is sealed but allows access to the PC connectors and micro-usb ports and is open enough on top to allow access to the Due and has an opening available to allow a Sata connection - or is tall enough to allow a laptop SATA drive to fit within it. This would help protect the UDOO while allowing it to be usable as well - just a thought!

I'm open to ideas for either building one or purchasing one.

Otherwise I'm fine leaving it sitting on the anti-static bag on my desk, but thought it'd be nice to protect it and make it look more "presentable" :)

-Josh
josolanes

Re: UDOO case?

Postby mkopack » Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:04 pm

There's another thread in this room covering a 3D printed case design that is up at:

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:152708

But yeah, like you I'd like something that could hold a 2.5" SATA drive as well. I'd prefer to put the SATA on the bottom, but trying to figure out how to run the cables around to the bottom for it.

Wish I had a clue how to do things in CAD... But take a look at that link. It's a good starting point IMO.
----------------------------------------------------------------
UDOO Community Support Team Member
mkopack

Postby josolanes » Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:39 pm

Wow that is really cool! That's a great start. I also have no CAD experience, though. Even what is shown in that link I think is a very good start. I'm thinking something along the lines of lifting the sides a bit higher (1/2" or more) and adding a "shelf" of sorts to hold a 2.5" SATA underneath the UDOO could work possibly too, and doesn't sound extremely difficult - if only with some CAD knowledge. As you said, routing the cables could be a bit tedious, though

Thank you very much mkopack for the link. I've never looked into 3D printing before, is there somewhere online that can print objects? I've read that select UPS Stores will begin offering it but can't find any information beyond that
josolanes

Postby mkopack » Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:05 pm

You should be able to send the files to somebody like Shapeways and pay to have them print it for you. No idea on price though.
mkopack

Postby tibmeister » Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:54 am

Radio Shack has a project enclosure that is 6"x4"x2" and fits great. Radio Shack even has the standoffs that you can superglue into the enclosure to mount it nicely. I will be making a template, possibly from the link provided above, to lay over and use as a cutting guide for a dremel.
With this enclosure, it's big enough to fit a slim HDD, and a small power break-out board for both the SATA HDD and an external fan mounted in the case to keep the whole thing cool.
Since I can't post pictures in the forum here, I will revive my blog on my website and get some stuff posted up there.
tibmeister

Postby josolanes » Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:42 pm

Thanks for the tip @tibmeister. I'll check out the enclosure you mentioned - using the other link as a template for cutting the enclosure with a dremel is a great idea!

I'd definitely be interested in updates on this if you wouldn't mind, I'll very likely be doing the same :)
josolanes

Postby mkopack » Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:11 pm

Not sure if this will read in the files I referenced earlier for that 3D printed case, or the UDoo design files, but check this out:

http://www.designspark.com/eng/page/mechanical

Free 3D CAD package for Windows and supposedly works with 3D printers (IE it'll produce the right kind of files for 3D printers to use.)
mkopack

Postby mkopack » Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:25 pm

Here's a video on that CAD package as well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZ9K6mtnV2Q
mkopack

Postby josolanes » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:38 pm

Thanks @mkopack I'll check that out :)
josolanes

Postby Patola » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:47 am

About that case on thingiverse: I am currently using it slightly modified on my UDOO. First off, I had to increase it by 2% size - on its current dimensions, it is so tight that the small excesses of the switches and connectors won't let you insert the board in the case. The second change I had to do is to thicken the divisions between the connector holes on the side with the most holes, because they are too thin and tall and when you are 3D-printing them they are very likely to collapse.

I can't publish my modified design however because the license prohibits derivatives. I have complained that to the author, who doesn't look too happy about it.
Patola

Next

Return to General Discussion