SATA Power on quad?

Moderators: DracoLlasa, Lifeboat_Jim, mkopack, ektor5, ekirei, delba, andcmp

SATA Power on quad?

Postby mkopack » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:46 pm

Hey gang,

So I have a quad coming, but as I'm looking at the board, I see the SATA connector, but no place to get the power for the drive from the board.

Any ideas? Usually you have to do 2 connections (1 power, 1 data...)

Or am I wrong here?
----------------------------------------------------------------
UDOO Community Support Team Member
mkopack

Re: SATA Power on quad?

Postby htsauce » Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:54 am

That does strike a point, they need there dedicated supply, more so a full size drive, could mount the udoo on the top of a smaller cpu power supply , and hop the green pin to the blk on the 20-24pin connector, then have sata power , or molex adapted, but thats going the long end, they do have power adapters for sata,, could get supplys with standard pc power cable ports, then get a 3 way cord,, still long hand, i wonder what type of battery supply would be needed to support a laptop sata or ssd drive to be mounted underneath the udoo,
htsauce

Postby Mozer » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:46 am

In any case you will need a seperate power supply for you're hdd, a SATA cable doesn't supply power. You could use the power supply and the adapter for external hdd's.
I would recommend using a 2.5 inch hdd (laptop size) since it uses a lot less power and only needs 5 volts, or even a SSD for that matter which only uses like 1W :)

So yes, you will need two cables, 1 for data and 1 for the power
Mozer

Postby mkopack » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:39 pm

Well, then, I can see one of the first commercial 3rd party projects being some sort of power board that you could use to power the Udoo+ the SATA drive.

And yeah, I planned to use a smaller SSD (32/64GB) for this, I just didn't know how/where to get the power to drive it.

Worst case I'll drive it via USB... Just seems silly though to tie up one of the USB ports for SATA when there's a SATA data port on the board... Maybe that internal "special" USB port could be used... Be hell to wire though.

I also hope the Udoo guys put out a converter cable to go from that internal USB port to normal USB port.
----------------------------------------------------------------
UDOO Community Support Team Member
mkopack

Postby maddmike71 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:31 am

If you use a 2.5" there are usb options for power
maddmike71

Postby saidol » Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:27 pm

Hi, you can get power for 2.5'' disk from J12, the white connector nearby SATA plug.
The pin nearest SATA is for +5Volt (connect it to red wire), the other is the GND. You don't need 12 Volt on 2.5'' disk.
Bye
Giuseppe
-----
Developer at UDOO team
saidol

Postby htsauce » Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:45 pm

Thanks
htsauce

Postby Mozer » Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:12 pm

Good call Giuseppe :)
Mozer

Postby andcmp » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:50 am

saidol wrote:Hi, you can get power for 2.5'' disk from J12, the white connector nearby SATA plug.
The pin nearest SATA is for +5Volt (connect it to red wire), the other is the GND. You don't need 12 Volt on 2.5'' disk.
Bye
Giuseppe

Yes, Giuseppe is right, I'll also attach a picture for those of you who don't have a UDOO yet:
udoo_j12_sata_power.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-----
Designer at UDOO team
andcmp

Postby firehopper » Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:08 pm

awesome. do you have a part number of the matching connector? or what its called so we can order it?
firehopper

Next

Return to General Discussion