XBMC release

Discussion in 'XBMC' started by wolfgar, Dec 6, 2013.

1. wolfgar

wolfgar New Member

Hi,

I have just publicly made my iMX6 XBMC image available.
    Starting from now, I will try to release images with my latest dev for udoo as I am the happy owner of such a board.
    You can find more on my blog
    Your community seems great and I look forward to exchange with you...

Kind regards
    Stephan

2. delba

delba Administrator Staff Member

3. Greg Nuspel

Greg Nuspel New Member

Since I am computer challenged (windows box) I was wondering if anyone can guide me through extracting the bin file to the micro SD?

Thanks

4. delba

delba Administrator Staff Member

5. Greg Nuspel

Greg Nuspel New Member

Thanks I wasn't sure if Win32DiskImager would work, burning away :)

6. SpoonSauce

SpoonSauce New Member

Thanks for this!

Please forgive the dumb question as this is my first time playing around with XBMC.

I've installed it and it seems to work well enough, but I can't seem to find the 4TB USB HDD I've connected. I get the connection / disconnection notification, but I have no idea where the drive gets mounted. The drive is formatted with NTFS. Is that an issue? I can always just convert it to EXT4 or FAT32.

7. wolfgar

wolfgar New Member

Hi,

NTFS is not supported in spite of ntfs3g in the RFS because there is no support for FUSE in kernel config.
    In next version I will add a lot of options for kernel (for fuse but also , TV tuners and so on...) to provide a better experience out of the box...
    For now, you can rebuild the kernel : the sources (compatible with this image) are available here : https://github.com/wolfgar/Kernel_Unico

Best regards
    Stephan

8. SpoonSauce

SpoonSauce New Member

Thanks for the quick, helpful reply, Stephan.

Looking forward to future releases!

9. Sherman

Sherman New Member

Would love to see better support for live tv, it fails to connect to tvheadend? Would also love to see a kernel-module for my hdhomerun dvb-c tuner. Thank you for your great work!

Best regards

Christian

10. Nexxy

Nexxy New Member

Hi,

nice to hear that :) Looking forward to an linux dist with FUSE support for udoo .. couldnt find one so far. Any hints when you relase one with FUSE support for NTFS ?

Greetings
    Nex

11. wolfgar

wolfgar New Member

Hi Sherman & Nexxy

I think tvheadend is simply not launched (even if the binary is present in the RFS) hence the connection error...

But as I stated, I will enable most dvb drivers in the next release so that liveTV should become easier for most users...
    Sorry I cannot communicate hard deadline because I don't want to disappoint you.
    Basically l can promise I will do my best so that you have this new version before the end of next week.
    Yet, It could be before or later : My free time is too sparse and Christmas approach does not help... ;)

Best regards
    Stephan

12. Sherman

Sherman New Member

Very much appreciated :D :D :D

Best regards

Christian

13. Nexxy

Nexxy New Member

Hi,

there is no hurry, im just happy to hear that FUSE Kernel support is planned .. cauz there is currently no Linux image with fuse support out there .. im rly disappointed about the current Linux / Debian / Ubuntu support for Udoo :(

I allready compiled Xbmc for Debian and Ubuntu .. problem is that there is no FUSE inside the kernel and Xbmc cant find /dev/mixer etc from the elsa emulation driver package ..
    but there is noone who can help out there :p

.. atm i cant do anything with udoo .. using my old raspberry with wheezy debian instead

Since i dont have all fixes for the linux kernel .. i cant compile it on my self .. (kernel compile config is missing in the images )

Looking forward for your next release, if it contains NTFS / Truecrypt / FUSE support :p

Greetings
    Nex

14. Phatdaro

Phatdaro New Member

BTW.: Arch has Fuse-Support, tried it by my self with NTFS-3g

15. wolfgar

wolfgar New Member

Hi Nexxy

I am not part of udoo core team but the board is very new so it is not that surprising that there is no yet very well packaged generic distros available....
    But I am confident your udoo has a far better potential than your Rpi...(obviously Rpi has just a very wealthy ecosystem)

If you look for a kernel config, It is available in fact : Both
    - as a default conf in official udoo repo : https://github.com/UDOOboard/Kernel_Uni ... _defconfig
    - In my yocto layer : https://github.com/wolfgar/meta-stef/bl ... /defconfig

Also, when the related option is selected, you can grab a kernel config on a live kernel through /proc/config.gz ...

Kind regards
    Stephan

16. Nexxy

Nexxy New Member

Just to conclude it,

If i fetch the kernel source (https://github.com/wolfgar/Kernel_Unico) and use your config files for the yocto (https://github.com/wolfgar/meta-stef/bl ... /defconfig) i should be able to rebuild the kernel
    + just replace it in the /boot folder -> and reboot to get it loaded

Tried that with the stock udoo-Kernel config from (proc/config.gz) some time ago (about 4 weeks) + kernel sources from https://www.kernel.org/ and that failed with massive comp errors :/ too many to get them fixed :)

.. its funny i recompile linux almost every day about 20 times .. for my fixes within the linux scheduling .. but i dont get this yocto things working ^,^

Greetings
    Nexxy

17. wolfgar

wolfgar New Member

Hi Nexxy

Yes exactly, the way of building/updating the kernel you describe is correct...
    Just don't forget to set variables for cross compiling (ARCH & CROSS_COMPILE) and to build uImage as it is what the uboot script expects (and I am unsure this uboot release is able to deal directly with zimage).
    It should work just fine ...

You clearly don't need the whole yocto beast for this ;)
    (Well I am personally convinced yocto is great but I also know it has a tight learning curse and it is too much hassle to setup for a single kernel build of course...)

Regards
    Stephan

18. Nexxy

Nexxy New Member

:(

If i try to recompile the kernel with FUSE support + your config .. it will break at

drivers/mfd/mxc-hdmi-core.c:37:27: fatal error: mach/clock.h No such file or directory

i assume that it searches for the includepath
    Kernel_Unico/arch/arm/plat-mxc/include/

but i dont have a clue witch make - flag is neccessary to properly set this path

without FUSE it compiles properly

edit: .. ok i tried to hardcode every path .. but it will fail in double definition of struct clk :(

edit2 : well it seems that my git clone didnt work properly -_- .. cloned everything again

edit3: failed now on loading some firmeware files like -> firmware/imx/sdma/sdma-imx6q-to1.bin.gen.o
    fix: just coppied the firmware folders to build folder (using make O=/path/to/build/folder)

edit4: -.- uImage is not in /boot GRRRRRR .. its in /media/mmcblk0p1/ took me another 10mins of my time :/

edit5: got it ! finaly i got a new Kernel
    edit6: -.- ARGH IMPORTANT dont forget flag CONFIG_BLK_DEV_DM < (RAID AND LOGICAL DEVICE MAPPER) very important !! @ Stephan

Greetings
    Nex

19. Sherman

Sherman New Member

Hi Stephan!

I was wondering if something like http://learn.adafruit.com/using-an-ir-remote-with-a-raspberry-pi-media-center/overview would be available in future releases? Also, I would like to use a Logitech Harmony One to to control XBMC, and do you think its possible to run boblight and having an IR sensor hooked up simultaneously? I was wondering if you would then have to play, with interrupts in the arduino sketch?

Thank you for all your efforts! :D

Best Regards

Christian

20. jdonavan

jdonavan New Member

The Windows Media Center remotes you can pick up for around $10 on Amazon work out of the box. The USB receiver for them makes the remote operate as a keyboard. You can program your Harmony to send out the same codes if you'd like and the receiver should still do the trick.