Getting latest node.js to run on UDOO

Discussion in 'General Programming Discussion' started by jfey, Nov 26, 2013.

1. jfey

jfey New Member

Since someone here in our team asked me how i did it i'll answer right here in the forum in case this is of interest for more node fans:

The best way (at least for me) to get the latest version of node.js running on a fresh new UDOO (Ubuntu 11.x) has been:

1.) Download the sources from the node.js site: http://nodejs.org/download/
    An alternative is to download the pre-compiled binaries here: https://github.com/pilwon/nodejs-for-linaro-ubuntu

2.) Unzip the source package and cd into it

3.) Compile and install with (i am not root user usually)

Code:
    ./configure --without-snapshot
    make
    sudo make install 
    The make step should take around 40 minutes (Quad UDOO).

4.) The new node and npm binaries are waiting for you in /usr/local/bin/node and /usr/local/bin/npm.
    If /usr/local/bin is not yet in your path just add it to your .profile

5,.) Check if you got the latest and greatest version:

Code:
    node --version
    Should pass back : v0.10.22 (currently)

6.) Done && Coffee && add some requires to your new code.

ANGULAR.JS and METEOR

If someomne is interested in another topic called Angular.JS and/or Meteor:

We have been succesful installing the plain Yeoman toolset (including grunt, bower) but trying to add Angular.JS to the story via
    Code:
    yo angular
    came back with compiling errors. So no luck so far - but it it obvious that an AngularJS app should be done and run on the client- which should not be the UDOO.

The Meteor story is different: Meteor needs to run on the client and the server. Unfortunately Meteor does not support ARM currently.

If anyone has more luck with both frameworks, please let us know :)

cheers

Juergen

2. Lifeboat_Jim

Lifeboat_Jim New Member

Thanks Juergen

That is a very useful guide to accompany Phuh's node.js UDOO library detailed at viewtopic.php?f=8&t=391

3. Rickor

Rickor New Member

when a problem with install node.js

Code:
    sudo apt-get install git-core python libssl-dev build-essential
    git clone git://github.com/joyent/node.git node && cd node
    git checkout v0.10.22
    make        (it will take some time - 40min)
    sudo make install

without git checkout v0.10.22 installed the last 0.11.11-pre and "npm install serialport" runs not with "pre" versions.

4. aterocana

aterocana New Member

After cloning the repository, checking out to v0.10.26 (currently the last one), and executing the other commands Node isn't working. If I execute `node -v` it correctly answer with "0.10.26" but if I run `node` I can't access to the node console. Also npm seems it doesn't work. Any advice?

5. Capstan

Capstan New Member

I didn't bother to compile, I just downloaded the zip file (nodejs-for-linaro-ubuntu-master.zip) and unzipped it. The binaries are working for me, I get the node console, can run node.js programs, and npm works.

node --version reports v0.10.21

6. aterocana

aterocana New Member

If I compile after a checkout to version 0.10.22 it actually works. I think there's a problem with 0.10.26 and arm because I don't have any issue on a 64bit Arch Linux on my computer. I didn't try with any of 23, 24 or 25.

7. technilinx

technilinx New Member

Has anyone tried versions 0.10.23/24/25 and see if those work. I am having the same issues as aterocana where Node -v works but nothing else. I am going to start at compiling version 23 and work my way up from there, but I was hoping someone maybe able to save me some time.

8. peter247

peter247 New Member

or if you don`t want to wait that long try using all 4 cores , which turns that 40 minutes to just over 10.

try using "make -j4" instead of compiling with a single core !!!

9. technilinx

technilinx New Member

UPDATE:
    So I am having the same issue with version v0.10.23 in where "node -v" is the only command that works. I am now going to try v0.10.22.

To: peter247
    The issue is NOT that I am unable to build Node.js, (It builds just fine). Just after the install/build is complete, it fails to work beyond a -v query.

I don't think I had any issues when building and running Node.js on Linaro Ubuntu 11.10. I was able to build and run the most current version on Node.js in that environment. It seems to be an issue with building and running on top of Linaro Ubuntu 12.04 LTS.

I will need to recheck my findings on the order OS later and post the results I find.

10. technilinx

technilinx New Member

UPDATE:
    Build v0.10.22 and it works as expected. I am able to run node as well as npm.

If someone out there can help determine why building v0.10.23 and newer does not work correctly, that would be extremely helpful. After reviewing the change log, some bugs that could potentially effect projects were resolved in newer versions of Node.js.

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/joyen ... /ChangeLog

Thanks all.

11. peter247

peter247 New Member

I installed http://nodejs.org/dist/node-latest.tar.gz last night on my Debain udoo , I had a problems with segment faults at first , but found that I needed to use the "--without-snapshot" , so I know node works on my Debian image .

root@Udoo:~# node -v
    v0.10.26

12. technilinx

technilinx New Member

Peter:

Just so I fully understand what you are stating, you install Node.js v0.10.26 on Linaro Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (Release 2.1) and was able to run NPM and run a JS file on Node?

I only ask as the command "node -v" worked fine, just nothing more than that such as try to run npm -v or even running node by itself.

Here is the script I run to build node.js on my udoo:

Code:
    # Download & Unpack Node.js - v. 0.10.26
    echo 'Download Node.js - v. 0.10.26'
    mkdir /tmp/node-install
    cd /tmp/node-install
    wget http://nodejs.org/dist/v0.10.26/node-v0.10.26.tar.gz
    tar -zxf node-v0.10.26.tar.gz
    echo 'Node.js download & unpack completed'
    # Install Node.js
    echo 'Install Node.js'
    cd node-v0.10.26
    make && checkinstall --install=yes --pkgname=nodejs --pkgversion "0.10.26" --default
    echo 'Node.js install completed'

So, I do use the "--without-snapshot" option in the command line argument. Is something else you did beyond this?

Thanks for your help,

Jairo

13. peter247

peter247 New Member

No ... I`m running Debian wheezy .
    Yes ... You do need to use the "--without-snapshot" option , without it everything I tried give a segment fault
    Yes ... I have installed firmata , socket.io , johnny-five by using npm install -g firmata etc.

from my notes , so I can install it again .

wget http://nodejs.org/dist/node-latest.tar.gz
    tar -zxf node-latest.tar.gz
    cd /???
    make -j4
    sudo make install

npm install -g firmata
    npm install -g socket.io
    npm install johnny-five

14. technilinx

technilinx New Member

Peter, thanks for stating the fact that you are NOT using Linaro Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (Release 2.1). In the future, please state that so that we wont have to go back and forth since we are not comparing apples to apples.

Now, has ANYONE ELSE been able to install Node.js v0.10.26 on Linaro Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (Release 2.1)?

Thanks,

15. technilinx

technilinx New Member

Opps, sorry Peter. I am just now noticing that you said "Debian" in an early post. Since Ubuntu is Debian based, I made an assumption that we were on the same OS. my bad.

Sorry Again.

16. peter247

peter247 New Member

If I get the time tomorrow I will install the Ubuntu 12.04 LTS image on a spare SD card and see if I can install node.js with the same method which worked for me on Debian .
    Ubuntu is built on Debian Linux so can`t see why it doesn`t work .

What errors do you get ?

compiled node.js on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS and you are right .. "npm install -g whatever" just hangs forever !!! , no error .

Time to go back to a working linux o.s Debian !!!!

17. stefando

stefando New Member

Hi,

I opened an related issue on nodejs: https://github.com/joyent/node/issues/7655

However my UDOO board died and I cannot provide details they need.
    Could you please help and "provide more information regarding the failure, what happens and what your toolchain looks like" there?

Thanks, Stefan

18. mrar

mrar New Member

I'm unable to install npm install serialport. Has anyone successful install serial port? my os :lubuntu node js version 11.10

19. mrar

mrar New Member

Code:
    sudo apt-get install git-core python libssl-dev build-essential
    git clone git://github.com/joyent/node.git node && cd node
    git checkout v0.10.22
    make       
    sudo make install

Lastly i can install serialport library into UDOO board running on lubuntu. Thanks for this post. Previously i try to install with 0.11.10, stable and 0.12.x it can be install but when i try to install npm install serialport it fail. I miss to put one command line.. May i know what the functionality of this command?

Code:
    git checkout v0.10.22
    thanks again...

20. jrullan

jrullan New Member

Hello to all Udooers using Node.js,

The only version I have successfully installed is 0.10.22.
    I want to get the latest, but it seems something is wrong with versions above 0.10.22. Or maybe with our Udoobuntu distribution???
    There have been a couple of node packages I haven' t been able to run using 0.10.22, so that's my reason for wanting to have the latest stable version.

So far I've tried the following that didn't work:

The symptom is the same:
    npm -v <-- hangs forever

Does anybody knows the reason?