Wireless Communication Between UDOO & RPI

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by otpowell, Sep 7, 2015.

1. otpowell

otpowell New Member

Hello, perhaps this is a newbie question as I am relatively new. I've been researching this idea for quite some time. I want to setup a UDOO with a PIR sensor hooked up in one room and if motion is detected, I want the UDOO to wirelessly send a message to my Raspberry Pi in the other room and tell it to turn an LED matrix red. I want the LED matrix to display blue when no movement is detected on the UDOO, and red if motion is detected. Is there a way I can do this by running a python script on the UDOO? Say if pin 5 goes high on the UDOO (motion is detected) then SSH into the Raspberry Pi and send a bunch of binary to a certain pin on the Raspberry Pi to turn the matrix red? Maybe if no motion for 10 seconds turn the matrix green, if no motion for one minute turn the matrix blue? Is this something thats relatively easy to do by scripting and running raspbian on the Pi and UDOOBuntu on the UDOO? Would I need to run scripts on both boxes? Can it be done alone with scripting and without the need for a different operating system like OpenHAB? Should I turn my raspberry pi into a webserver and run everything through the internet like IoT?

Would this be easier to accomplish with a couple ESP8266 modules or ZigBee or NRF modules?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Sep 7, 2015
  2. Andrea Rovai

Andrea Rovai Well-Known Member

Hi there otpowell, I think your odds of getting an exhaustive answer from someone in the forum would be more if you just ask one question at a time ;)
    Basically you're asking a collaboration for a project but it seems also you got previous questions you need to be answered. I suggest also to take a look at the UDOO Starting Manual.
    Cheers and good luck!

3. otpowell

otpowell New Member

Ok, thanks for the suggestion.

Say I have two UDOO's running UDOObuntu, how would I wirelessly control the GPIO between the two devices?

4. Andrea Rovai

5. otpowell

otpowell New Member

Thanks Andrea. How would I make this automated? I would like to have a PIR sensor hooked up to my UDOO. When the UDOO senses motion, I want it to send a wireless message to the Raspberry pi and tell it to turn on some LED's. How would I accomplish this? I'm thinking I could just do a one way communication and and run a script on UDOO TO SSH into the pi.

How would I get the microcontroller to run the script when it detects that one of the PIR pins goes high?
    I've been researching and can't find out how to program into the Arduino IDE how to switch to terminal and run a script to SSH into the raspberry pi.

6. Andrea Rovai

Well, since your project involves Raspberry Pi you should ask the Raspberry Pi Forum I guess.

7. VailKo

VailKo New Member

What are the details of your whole setup and what are the specifications for the modules you are using?
    Which wireless module you are using and what is the distance between two devices?
    Also which Raspberry Pi model you are using with your UDoo

pcb fabrication

Last edited: Dec 22, 2015
  8. Andrea Rovai

Sorry @otpowell , I totally missed the point of this topic. I got confused and thought you were looking for advice just about Pi in the UDOO Forum. LOL. Accept my apologies pls

9. otpowell

otpowell New Member

It's ok. I have both just tying to find a way to make them talk is all. I think I'm going to use UDOO with ESP8266. Can node.js be run on UDOO? I assume it can run it. Maybe I'm wrong?

10. Andrea Rovai

Yes it works fine. There also is already an active server on UDOO NEO.

11. otpowell

otpowell New Member

Thanks everyone