Why do things I install disappear when I shutdown?

Discussion in 'UDOO NEO' started by DPrime123, Dec 29, 2015.

1. DPrime123

DPrime123 New Member

Why do things I install disappear when I shutdown?

2. Francesco

Francesco Active Member

What do you mean? Root filesystem is mounted in r/w

3. DPrime123

DPrime123 New Member

Hi,
    Have been installing apps with sudo apt-get install but when I log back in everything is gone which I previously installed.
    I have tried installing both via VNC while connected via micro usb and also while on 12v and using it's own screen.
    In both instances no installed apps remain. The only thing which seems to carry over are preference changes like selecting a background or changing colours (although I haven't tried downloading a background and seeing if that stays, but everything ells I create seems to disappear.

Is there a way of checking if the SD card is right protected and checking user authorisation for R/W?

4. Francesco

Francesco Active Member

Try another SD card. If you install something with sudo, you are writing on tge SD card as root, so there can't be any permission issue. Is your filesystem clean? Try to run fsck.

5. DPrime123

DPrime123 New Member

After doing some investigating there are lots of posts online for Windows 10 doing crazy stuff with SD cards and USB devices. Seems there is an issue with windows 10 deciding it doesn't like SD cards or USB devices and write protecting them in some way which even after investigating I couldn't find a post which gave a solution to the problem.

I have looked at the registry, the drivers, the user rules for storage devices, and made sure it wasn't read only with diskpart.
    All of this was set correctly but still unable to format the SD card. I also noticed when I was checking details on the SD (in the linux environment on the UDOO NEO, that windows 10 had formatted the card as FAT 16 not FAT32 as default with no way of choosing FAT 32 within windows 10??
    I'm going to try and fix this mess with a non windows machine, but I'm scared to plug it back into it now when putting it back into the UDOO NEO.

It's pretty strange, when I connect the card to the computer it always says there are errors and to repair it, when I try to repair it, it says either its protected or there were no issues found, if it says it's protected that's it I can't format the SD card but when it says no errors found it goes back to the repair menu saying it needs to run the repair over and over again. If you cancel out of this you can try and format but it just says it's unsuccessful.

6. DPrime123

DPrime123 New Member

Ok so I think windows killed my SD card, tried to format and fix in linux but no dice.
    I'll get a new SD card and pre-format in linux with correct 33Mb FAT32 partition then move over to windows for mounting of udoobuntu.
    now I'm a sad panda

7. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

I dont think you have to format it into partitions, at least I did not and it is also not in the instruction s

8. Francesco

Francesco Active Member

You don't need to format your SD card. Just write the udoobuntu image, it contains a correct partition table.
    The boot (FAT) partition contains the kernel and other related stuff, don't worry if it is FAT 16 or 32. You can try two things:
    - try another SD card (a good class 10 on Amazon is a few €/$)
    - try to burn the SD image with another computer

9. DPrime123

DPrime123 New Member

Yep partitions are created when imaging (was formatting to remove data) but I can't clear any data as it has been locked up by windows, my Linux machine can't even clear the data off the SD card, and I'm guessing imaging over the top would not fix the problem if its even possible as it's now locked and I can't do anything with it (I will try though "for science").

Yeah I'll get a new SD card and format and image the card in Linux instead as windows 10 would probably just kill it again.
    Really the only reason I had it connected to the windows machine was to VNC into it on the big screens, I'd rather it worked instead.

10. Xykon

Xykon Member

11. DPrime123

DPrime123 New Member

Can't see how it would help. The card is locked up by windows 10.
    Can't format on Linux or windows machine
    Can't image SD card with Linux or windows machine.

It's really annoying but a search online seems to indicate that I'm not the first person whos SD card has been wrecked by windows 10.
    But I can't actually find online how it was locked with such finality, (can't find anything on the device flagging it as locked so not sure why it persists over to the Linux machine).
    suffice to say I'll be imaging with Linux when I finally get a new SD card.

12. Andrea Rovai

Andrea Rovai Well-Known Member

Can anyone else can confirm these problems with Windows 10?

13. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

I have written mine image with Windows 10 twice, and give no issues.

Andrea Rovai likes this.
  14. Andrea Rovai

Andrea Rovai Well-Known Member