Can we have a list of priorities and projected dates for NEO?

Discussion in 'UDOO NEO' started by JackSilb, Nov 13, 2015.

1. JackSilb

JackSilb Active Member

Hello UDOO Team, at this point you probably saw some frustration by your backers in the NEO Forum.

May I suggest you give us a list of the current priorities and when you believe you can have the items completed?

If you send us a survey of the things you are working on, and what you believe is important to your customers, we can help you rank the priorities (VOC – Voice of the Customer). Lets say must have and nice to have

Example:
    What – priority - projected completion date
    USB network (192.168.7.2) on MacOS working – High – Dec 15 2016
    Enable programing of the M4 by an external computer using USB – High – Dec 15 2016
    M4 Access to WiFi and Bluetooth for communication – Medium – Jan 2016
    Optimize compilation / upload time of Arduino IDE in the NEO Linux (make it faster) – Medium – Jan 2016
    Linux NEO Arduino IDE working to program external Arduino boards – Low – Feb 2016
    Enable programing of the M4 by an external computer using Ethernet / WiFi – Low – March 2016

Marco Schiff likes this.
  2. JackSilb

JackSilb Active Member

Hello, any chance we can get a draft schedule for the fuctionality you have been working on?

ex:
    • See the M4 as an Arduino on a USB connection (enable programing from a PC).
    • Cloud9.
    • Tutorial on cross compilation from a PC for the A9.
    • Tutorial using other IDE to cross compile for the M4.

Thank you,
    -Jack

3. Vinz87

Vinz87 UDOOer

yes, it would be nice. also given the fact that we were used to your frequent updates during the kickstarter campaign

C.C likes this.
  4. stanleyyork11

stanleyyork11 New Member

Could we maybe get the over scanning issue added to the list of priorities?

Sent from my Harrier Tab from EE using Tapatalk

5. Andrea Rovai

Andrea Rovai Well-Known Member

@JackSilb:
    1) next week is the ETA, but since a couple of our tech guys are sick it could slip to two/three weeks.
    2) we have made a test and runs fine, but it's not a priority. How would you like to use it?
    3) what do you want to cross compile? There are resources for what concerns the compilation in Linux in the docs. Do you think they are not enough for the cross compilation?

At the moment we are working on:

1. support of peripherals exposed on the external pinout
    2. Arduino IDE
    3. One image for all the NEO board (that is, one uboot for all the NEO boards)
    4. Enhanced Web Control Panel
    5. Bug Fix

C.C, Marco Schiff and rreignier like this.
  6. JackSilb

JackSilb Active Member

Hi Andrea,

Good to see a reply from you here.

a) The "ETA for next week" would be for what specifically?

b) Do you have a list of functionality that the Udoo NEO Team is working on and their priorities?
    Would you be interested in having your customers help set the priorities that may be important to them?

c) Is the Arduino IDE you listed on your reply running on a PC to program the NEO M4 using a USB Cable?
    d) Will we be able to program it using Wireless too?

I know we can program the M4 by VNC into Neo and use the Linux A9 Arduino IDE. As discussed earlier, the compilation feels way slow now.

f) How about Cloud9 that you mentioned in another Thread. See, I am trying to help you help us understand the projects your team is working on and associated dates so we can stop asking you about them and hopefully help you set the priorities if our opinion can help.

Thank you,
    -Jack

7. JackSilb

JackSilb Active Member

> 3) what do you want to cross compile? There are resources for what concerns the compilation in Linux in the docs. Do you think they are not enough for the cross compilation?

For example, setting Eclipse to cross compile code to Arm (A9) from a Linux, Mac, or Windows and upload it into Neo from the Eclipse IDE.
    Basically, making NEO a "target".

I just checked the NEO documents on-line again, I could not find an example how to compile a code on a PC (cross compile) then upload to run it into NEO. Sorry, I may be missing it.
    I saw the examples where one can use the Linux on Neo with command lines to get values of the sensors.
    I saw the example on the virtual Ubuntu to recompile the kernel.

Thank you,
    -Jack

8. Andrea Rovai

Dear Jack,
    I did want to answer your questions then I forgot and they fell through the cracks.
    a) The ETA I mentioned is for external programming.
    b) Yes, that's what I posted in my previous post.
    c) Yes
    d) Yes
    f - you jumped over the e;)) we're making a guide for Cloud9 on UDOO NEO but we won't integrate it by default
    g) We're giving a look to cross-compiling with Eclipse, I'll be back with more news.

Just a question: why do you need to attach an Arduino to UDOO NEO, which embeds an Arduino? Isn't it simpler to use the Arduino on UDOO NEO? What's the use case?
    Let me add - since I forgot to add the most important thing - that off course we care about your requests folks.

9. JackSilb

JackSilb Active Member

Very cool. When you deliver all of this, people that are not software savvy will be able to buy NEO and start to use it right away. There is a reason why the Raspberry PI sells that much. EASY of use and support from the community.

NEO has such nice hardware, IMO, when the software tools and tutorials catch-up, it will a killer product.

Please keep us posted on the dates when the tools will be available.
    I like the idea to have "modules" like Cloud9 available vs. pushed into the uSD images to keep them light. Whoever needs it, can install.

Now, I know your team is busy. Let me post about ROS in another thread. IMO, you have a product that will make robotics guys like me come over to NEO.
    -Jack

10. Andrea Rovai

Dear Jack,
    I guess you noticed that we implemented Arduino External Programming for UDOO NEO.
    On top of everything you said, I would like to thank you for these suggestions. As soon as the beta will be concluded I guess we'll have a clearer vision of our next goals and we'll share more about it, I promise. For the moment our goal is to ease the approach to UDOO and UDOObuntu and make everything work with less friction.
    You know someone confident in ROS maybe? That would be helpful.
    Cheers

11. JackSilb

JackSilb Active Member

Hi Andrea,

No I did not know the Udoo team enabled the Arduino external. I did not get an announcement. I will look in the Forum. I was coming to this Thread hoping to see an update.

Regarding ROS, I would suggest posting on the ROS site. I can imagine people that don't know about NEO existence will be interested in working on the NEO ROS Package.

I have a full time job that has been keeping me really busy with lots of international travel. I can't offer quality work on the ROS package. It would take me a loooong time to show progress. I am guessing it will be question of porting other ARM code with the mapping of the I/O first then incrementally enable functionality of the embedded sensor available at NEO.

I can tell you that I will jump in to test it ;-)
    -Jack

12. JackSilb

JackSilb Active Member

Hi Andrea, that was a good holiday present!
    I followed the instructions on the Neo docs. I was up and running using a Windows 10 machine in a time equivalent to setting a Beagle Bone Black (BBB); uSD card and network over USB on Windows. I have not tested it on a Mac using El Captain yet. I am assuming until that until the mac drivers are fixed (not a NEO problem), using USB network for Neo wont be possible/reliable.

Now:
    > Jack - d) Will we be able to program it using Wireless too?
    >> Andrea -d) Yes

I tried using a power supply, no USB connection to NEO, having NEO on my local network using WiFi, testing access to it using http://<neo_local_ip>, then testing the Arduino IDE. As I suspected the Arduino IDE can't see the M4. I imagine we will need a virtual port in the Arduino IDE that connects to the WiFi port on Neo to enable programming the M4 wireless.

Is the Team working on that as you replied to my question on [d] above?

No matter what, this is progress. I took my Neo out of storage ;-)
    THANK YOU.
    -Jack

Last edited: Dec 24, 2015
  13. JackSilb

JackSilb Active Member

Hello,

Is the capability to upload Arduino code wirelessly from Arduino IDE running from a computer coming along?
    I am not talking about VNC into NEO and using the Arduino IDE.
    -Jack

14. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

15. klakier2121

klakier2121 Member

I updated, step by step how to upload .bin file

16. JackSilb

JackSilb Active Member

Hello,
    Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, I saw that. I need to give it a try. That is very good progress.

I was hoping (wishing) that we could have a virtual serial port that shows on the ArduinoIDE so it can be development plartform idenpendent.

Thanks,
    -Jack

17. Andrea Rovai

Dear JackSilb,
    I hope to make you happy by telling you that one of my colleagues is working on this feature.

18. JackSilb

JackSilb Active Member

Very cool Andrea,

Please let me know when you guys will be around California. I will take you for good drink and food ;-)

I am not sure when the next will be that going to Italy. I do miss it! We will take this chat in anothe thread.

Thank you very much for all the work. I am sure that with features like this you will make NEO a killer product. Just on the Arduino world, try to make possible to program it using WiFi or other Wireless ways and you see the cost/challenges. It gets expensive quick and not all boards support it. I managed to have a solution for Uno and Mega. Anything that is looking for a real USB connection I was not able to make it work such as DUE. For the small robotics projects I have been working on, you can imagine that changing the code, not just having a comm port, wirelessly is fundamental.

I can't wait to try it.
    -Jack

Andrea Rovai likes this.
  19. Xykon

Xykon Member

Are there any plans to make the Arduino side of Neo fully compatible? Most of my sketches I've been running on the Quad don't work on the Neo. Interrupt support seems to be the biggest thing missing for me right now.

Do you have a list of things that are currently supported verses those still missing?

20. Xykon

Xykon Member

All you need to do is change the IP address in %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming\Arduino15\packages\UDOO\hardware\solox\1.6.5\platform.txt

Replace 192.168.7.2 by the Wifi (or Ethernet) IP address of the NEO.

klakier2121 likes this.