Micro SD issues [Official disccusion]

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by andcmp, Oct 31, 2013.

1. tay

tay New Member

Ok, Thank You Andrea!

Andrea Rovai likes this.
  2. jkorten

jkorten New Member

I have spent a considerable amount of time on this issue and have come up with the following solution. 1) Do not use built in SD card readers on laptops. They are simply unreliable. In fact windows alternately knows about mine (recent Thinkpad X230) and then doesn't know I have a built in card reader. Use an external memory card adapter attached by USB ONLY! I'm using something I don't even know where it came from and it is at least 5 years old (Digital Concepts 6 Slots Hi Speed).

Then (and this is nuts) if the card has been corrupted by failed image write attempts - you must go through the following. Boot up in Linux, use gparted, identify the card, then delete all partitions and create one new partition of FAT32 type occupying the entire space.

Next boot up in windows, identify the drive, right click and format - again! Uncheck the quick format option for and reformat the drive, again, for a long time (it seems).

If you haven't already done so, download win32DiskImager and install. Click the windows start icon and type win32diskimager and see it up above, right clock on it and click "run as administrator". in Win32DiskImager Navigate to your unzipped .img file which you must have unziped with 7-zip, and make sure the imager is set to image your card (also selectable). Click on write.

This has now worked for me for 8gb, 16gb and 32gb cards.

Hope this is helpful.

Jerry

Andrea Rovai likes this.
  3. jkorten

jkorten New Member

Well I just learned this too. In the installation where I am working they have an HDMI LED screen made by LG which cannot display using linux 14.04 but can display using linux 12.04. I have no idea why and haven't been able to trouble shoot this issue. We swapped in an Acer and suddenly all was working. If you can boot 12.04 and can't boot 14.04 I suggest you also try swapping out your monitor as one item to test.

4. Andrea Rovai

Andrea Rovai Well-Known Member

UDOO NEO I guess

5. jkorten

jkorten New Member

No, UDOO Quad. We have about 6 of them we are using for our project and each one behaves the same, so it must be the monitor. What is the difference in the output of the HDMI under linux 14.04 vs 12.02?

6. Andrea Rovai

Andrea Rovai Well-Known Member

@tay: have you finally solved your problem?
    @jkorten: after UDOObuntu 2 14.04 we are having problems too with some screens and we still don't know why. We are looking after this.

7. sirrab

sirrab UDOOer

Interesting! I have the same issue.

8. Vinay Jindal

Vinay Jindal New Member

9. Giorgioesse74

Giorgioesse74 New Member

in my experience with micro SDs, all I can say is to use only high quality and high speed cards.
    also life span of micro SDs in a SBC is about 100 or 150 boots. Longer life expected to 1000 + if filesystem is read only.