Android 5.1.1 alpha is available for any UDOO NEO

Discussion in 'UDOO NEO' started by Andrea Rovai, Mar 24, 2016.

1. Andrea Rovai

Andrea Rovai Well-Known Member

Dear friends,
    Android 5.1.1 alpha for any UDOO NEO - Basic KS, Basic, Extended and Full - is available.
    It works over HDMI and LVDS.
    For more information (and for the download) visit this page.
    You can also download it through our Downloads section.
    Happy testing!

Mohamed Fadiga and waltervl like this.
  2. Wills Palacios

Wills Palacios New Member

Hi thanks for the Android img. Do you have any tutorial to use arduino over Udoo neo with Android?

3. bander

bander New Member

Which version of gcc/g++ is being used successfully?

I'm getting a lot of 'internal compiler error' while using gcc/g++ 4.9.2. Restarting the build seems to succeed, but it takes several runs to get an image and the Android build is anything but speedy.

Update: 'internal compiler error' seems to be an issue with the '-j' option to make. It compiles without error if I run make without '-j' argument (instead of the number of processors in system as suggested in documentation).

Last edited: Apr 6, 2016
  4. Francesco

Francesco Active Member

5. bander

bander New Member

6. Francesco

Francesco Active Member

You are welcome. BTW Android 5.1 uses (recommends) 4.8, but we are using 4.6 since it is recommended by Freescale
    Once we will have a stable build, we will try to move to 4.8

7. bander

bander New Member

@Francesco Is lvds display output controlled only by editing 'device/udoo/udooneo_6sx/uEnv.txt'?

8. Francesco

Francesco Active Member

There is a switch in system settings (which edits /data/uEnv.txt)

9. bander

bander New Member

At run-time or build-time? How are the system settings configured? Pardon my lack of knowledge regarding Android.

10. Francesco

Francesco Active Member

At run-time. I am using the "Settings" app in Android. What do you mean with "How are the system settings configured?" ?

11. bander

bander New Member

Oh, I see. There is a setting in the Settings panel of the running Android system. So an HDMI monitor has to be hooked up to change to LVDS display.

12. Francesco

Francesco Active Member

Not necessarly. Just plug the SD card in your computer and manually edit /data/uEnv.txt
    This is the same of UDOObuntu - editing /boot/uEnv.txt

13. bander

bander New Member

I have the current 5.1.1 alpha running on LVDS 7" display w/ touch support. Wifi, Ethernet, and USB host are functioning and stable. adb works through OTG port. After a little trouble, I built Android with some configuration changes to allow location from a USB serial GPS radio (actually a SIM808 cellular unit w/ GPS). Then a navigation app (osmand) works as long as I manually configure the radio.

Is the camera interface working or close to working? I haven't wired one up to the VADC yet. Unfortunately it has to be soldered, since no mating connector is available.

What features are being worked on for the next release? How is the time frame looking for another update?

14. Andrea Rovai

Andrea Rovai Well-Known Member

Dear @bander, we recently made a new update about Android on UDOO. Have you checked it out? There are new Android images out there now :) Here's the link anyway: http://www.udoo.org/android-lollipop-for-all-udoo-neo-boards/
    Regarding the VADC we are currently studying the problem but with no remarkable achievement so far. Seems quite a hard problem.
    Regarding your question about what we are focused right now, we are working on Android for UDOO boards broadly speaking, new UDOO BRICKS, UDOO Blu (a sort of BLE-enabled, remotely controllable UDOO BRICK) and UDOObuntu 2 RC2. Of course we are also trying to solve the various existing problems. And in the meanwhile organizing the UDOO Hackathon to be held at Droidcon Italy 2016 (that will be in a matter of days, I'm about to publish the news) and another hackathon by May (which is basically undefined by now). And obviously, customer care, ticketing...

15. bander

bander New Member

@Andrea Rovai Thanks for the update!

I used the info in the link from March 24th to build with GPS enabled.

Seems like some other users are getting VADC to work on Udoobuntu, so I'll look at what they have done and how it might fit into Android. I'm a full-time software engineer during the day, so I'm not able to make very fast progress on side projects such as this. But I have really enjoyed digging into the Android system and getting navigation to work on the UDOO Neo 7" display.

16. Shane Fonyi

Shane Fonyi New Member

I had an issue getting the 7 inch LVDS touchscreen to work with the Android image. The settings in the OS Settings>Udoo>General>Select Video Output to select LVDS changes the uEnv.txt file in /data/uEnv.txt but it didn't change the uEnv.txt file in /system/ which was also necessary. I used the adb pull and push methods that come with the Android SDK to get the file to edit and to send the correct ones.

17. Francesco

Francesco Active Member

We have just fixed this issue. The problem is that U-Boot reads uEnv.txt from /system, instead of /data.
    If you have a serial adapter, you can fix it by running
    Code:
    setenv loadbootscript "ext2load mmc 0:4 ${kernel_loadaddr} ${script};"
    in the U-Boot prompt (or wait for the next release).

18. bander

bander New Member

@Andrea Rovai When will motion sensors be supported in Android for UDOO Neo? Does any camera functionality work yet? I found a connector from China that might work, but waiting for it to arrive in Texas.

I backed the new UDOO X86 Kickstarter project, even though I'm concerned that you guys are spread across too many projects and won't deliver the full support promised for UDOO Neo (or for UDOO X86 when it comes out). The special features of this board (motion, camera, Android support, etc.), are exactly why I bought into these projects, so it's important that they are supported in the promised software so that I can build on top of that functionality instead of struggling to get the basics working.

Maurice likes this.
  19. Opie91

Opie91 New Member

I agree with this, it appears they are spreading themselves very thin. Just trickling down enough to keep people from getting mad. Personally I bought the Neo for the sensors and the promise of running Android. At this pace, by the time Android is up and running this board will be antiquated. I remember when they were pushing the UDOO Neo development. They were full of sky high promises, but may of those did not come to be. One thing that sticks in my mind is that "Android Lollipop ran smoothly and easily". It doesn't even do that now, how could it have a year ago.

Not particularly impressed with UDOO......

sgm, ektor5 and idorel77 like this.
  20. Aimar Dynamik

Aimar Dynamik New Member

Hello francesco how do you do that? I downloaded everything and I have the UDOO neo working with android 5.1.1. but I still can't make it run in the 7" display thorugh LVDS, I can't even establsih the serial communication, even though I was able to connect and insert my android programs and even I installed google apps through the ADB