[SOLVED] connect multiple Temp brick Sensors

Discussion in 'UDOO NEO' started by Luis Roa, Apr 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Luis Roa

Luis Roa New Member

I couldn't find in the documents or forum if this is possible.

I have 3 sensors that I would like to connect. I assume that daisy chaining them would work, but it seems that it doesn't, or I am missing some info.

Any one has information about this?

Luis

2. delba

delba Administrator Staff Member

If you're talking about our sensor bricks the answer is: absolutely yes :)

3. Luis Roa

Luis Roa New Member

Yes, it is UDOO's senso bricks. When I connected them in a daisy chain, the temp readings got impacted (current temp was 23 C, but it was reading random numbers: 11 C, 15 C, etc. as was heating up the sensor. I assume it was a conflict on the I2C responses (all sensors using the same I2C address).

What are the steps required to use the sensors?
    Hopefully you won't be as terse as your prior email. As it justs creates a need for another round of questions... :)

Thanks in advance!

Luis

4. ektor5

ektor5 Administrator Staff Member

Luis Roa likes this.
  5. Luis Roa

Luis Roa New Member

Great. Thanks! ... So, my assumption was correct all the bricks have a fixed I2C address (I don't have a scope here, so I couldn't verify, but that was the most logical conclusion)...

A quick glance at the breakout board you mention seems to be the right solution. Thanks!

And it seems fairly easy to use: we keep the same code, except that just prior to sending any command(s) to any of the specific sensors, we preface it by sending a "sensor #" to the breakout chip at address 0x70. The breakout box then only transmits subsequent I2C msgs to the specific sensor being addressed (the "sensor #" would correspond to which breakout pins are used for that sensor). I think the only caveat is that _all_ the sensors that have the same address hardcoded need to sit _behind_ the breakout chip and given the connectors they use, I will have to do a bit of soldering... but looks exactly what's needed.

Thanks again,

Luis

6. ektor5

ektor5 Administrator Staff Member

Closing ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.