SATA Boot - SCSI component as built-in

Discussion in 'Linux Ubuntu' started by Theflorianmaas, Apr 21, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Theflorianmaas

Theflorianmaas UDOOer

UDOOBuntu 2 beta 3 for UDOO Quad released

@Francesco, As I played for weeks trying to boot from SATA on UDOObuntu 2 and recompiled the kernel several times adding components as built-in, for my knowledge and my curiosity which was the SCSI component that you turned from module to built-in?
    Thank you for your support. I haven't tested the recompiled kernel yet, but finally this sounds like a realistic solution.

2. Theflorianmaas

Theflorianmaas UDOOer

By the patched kernel I could boot from sata, but then keyboard and mouse no longer worked as all usb ports were not powered up, so I had to recompile the kernel.
    I have followed this procedure:

Before compiling, edit linux_kernel/arch/arm/configs/udoo_quad_dual_defconfig and change :
    CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SD and set it to y instead of m

This is the missing driver preventing to boot from sata with the original kernel

Complete the procedure to compile and install the kernel and the modules

Now by this procedure boot from sata works fine

3. sirrab

sirrab UDOOer

I get an error loading the requirements for compiling, i.e.ncurses, supposed to use ncurses5 or something like this. Computers need "everything" spelled out for them to do useful work. It is very disconcerting to follow directions and get errors, with no documentation stating this might happen, and/or suggestions on how to fix it. I continue on to try and compile the kernel.
    I get errors compiling with lzop and a couple others, that probably aren't important. Declarations that are never used for example.
    After compiling, there is no zImage, because lzop isn't available. sigh..... I am making progress, never the less. I have a virtual machine set up. I can DL the kernel sources. And even make attempts to compile it. Yay!

4. sirrab

sirrab UDOOer

5. Theflorianmaas

Theflorianmaas UDOOer

I agree with you the instructions are not always exhaustive
    I got the same error, I had to install lzop by sudo atp-get install lzop