Using UDOO x86 as a Tablet with a LCD touchscreen?

Discussion in 'UDOO X86' started by Cmuralhas, Apr 27, 2016.

1. Cmuralhas

Cmuralhas New Member

Hi

I'm using a Raspberry Pi 3 with the Raspberry oficial 7" LCD touchscreen and love it. What is great about this setup is that it is very space eficient because the LCD conects via a DSI port and not big HDMI and USB cables. It even has the ability to be used only with the LCD or with both LCD and a HDMI TV.

The recent PINE A64 also has this option and they will release also a oficial LCD touchscreen that conects via a DSI port on the board.

Is there such an option with the UDOO?

Thanks and Best Regards,
    Carlos Muralhas

2. Andrea Rovai

Andrea Rovai Well-Known Member

Hi @Cmuralhas,
    since the board is X86 there are already tons of solution in the market.
    Actually, is way easier to find compatible solutions in the x86 world rather than in the ARM world.
    Just think about it: there are more products for Raspberry Pi or for your PC?
    After a 1-minute Google search I just found this compatible screen: http://www.banggood.com/7-Inch-HDMI...Dyf3MnQfiYQAxpakySKkluz_qrLsnRopNMaAkJM8P8HAQ
    You just have to look for an HDMI-compatible screen that has the drivers for Ubuntu, Windows 10 or what OS you are going to use.
    Basically, this board already has all that support other boards look for, not because of us, but because of the architecture which is x86, and because we used an actual desktop processor, with no problem in terms of drivers.
    I can't tell you this very moment if we are going for an official UDOO screen or not, I'll tell you more once I know for sure.

3. Cmuralhas

Cmuralhas New Member

Yes, I know about these options. I was asking if there was a port in the UDOO x86 board like the DSI port on the Raspberry Pi. With the DSI port there is no need for bulky external cables for HDMI and USB.

4. Aaron B

Aaron B New Member

No DSI port unfortunately, I am in a very similar situation as I have a pine64 and touchscreen coming but I have no real clue what I'm going to do with the udoo yet

5. Aaron B

Aaron B New Member

I could be wrong... I just double checked the kickstarter and I don't SEE a DSI port mentioned in any pictures or drawings but one of the chart/tables labeled Features (its green), does have "touchscreen" listed under Other Interfaces... perhaps we could get an official response?

6. modjo

modjo Active Member

I think the best way to have an lcd with x86 (like the other udoo card) is a lvds connector (DSi is difficult to find a screen) ... but i think this is not an option for X86:(

graugans likes this.
  7. Cmuralhas

Cmuralhas New Member

I also have a PINE 64 with Touchscreen coming :)

8. toriless

toriless New Member

Yeah, in another 2 months!

9. Andrea Rovai

Andrea Rovai Well-Known Member

I confirm there's no DSI port on UDOO X86. The best solution is a HDMI or miniDP++ compatible screen.

10. toriless

toriless New Member

Yes, but that is one of very few and US users can get it cheaper at Amazon.com "https://www.amazon.com/dp/B013JECYF...UTF8&colid=18GCEVI3ZIQH0&coliid=I3J05G5ATDW41"

Andrea Rovai likes this.