Arduino Ide does not work on personalized kernel

Discussion in 'Arduino IDE' started by Loollo, Apr 7, 2016.

1. Loollo

Loollo New Member

Hi everybody,

I have some problems with the Arduino Ide on a personalized kernel I am using. I compiled and installed the Kernel using the instructions on the official documentation (aside from the fact that the udoo mad the actual compilation, since the cross compiling had some problems) and everything seems to work fine on the board.

The SO on the board is udoobuntu2 rc1. What happens is that if I try yo open the serial monitor to the serial connection on /dev/ttymxc3 the whole ide crashes. Same thing if I try to upload something. So, I tried to install rxtx as in the documentation, but, again, nothing worked.

Could you please help me? Is there a particular module from the kernel that needed to be compiled or installed later?

Thank you very much!
    Lorenzo

2. Andrea Rovai

Andrea Rovai Well-Known Member

Does it work with the official kernel? Did you modify starting from our kernel or from another kernel?
    In a second place, which Arduino IDE? which version I mean?

3. Maurice

Maurice Active Member

Are you referring to rxtx as in the Java serial library, or for some other language? For Java you need to have a link from /dev/ttyMCC to /dev/ttyS0. For the Arduino IDE /dev/ttyMCC must be available and openable. If I do not unlink the /dev/ttyS0 before I start the IDE the IDE simply closes.

**EDIT: /dev/ttyMCC is for UDOO Neo **

Last edited: Apr 7, 2016
  4. Loollo

Loollo New Member

Hi, soory for the late reply. The IDE version is 1.6.5. Regarding the rxtx, I installed the libraries for Java as described here: http://www.udoo.org/tutorial/udoo-serial-libraries-examples/ using the libs installed with apt-get.

I did not try to use the IDE with the stock RC1, I will make a test and see if it worked.

Thanks, have a nice day

delba likes this.
  5. Loollo

Loollo New Member

Hi everyboby, I did some tests and I think I found the problem. The IDE (1.6.5) works great with the default jvm, openJDK, but when I try to use the Oracle version of Java, the 8th one, the IDE starts but it does not upload and it does not open the serial monitor.

Do you have any idea on how to fix it?
    Thanks

Last edited: May 6, 2016
  6. thatdude624

thatdude624 New Member

I have the same problem. I followed the steps in http://www.udoo.org/tutorial/install-oracle-java-developement-kit-udoos-ubuntu/ which I need for my program and now Arduino crashes with no error every time I try to upload. I'm running the latest UDOObuntu 2.0 build for the UDOO quad.

7. Maurice

Maurice Active Member

You could try starting the Arduino ide from within a terminal. If the IDE crashes it is bound to write a stacktrace to the terminal, which may help you further solving the issue.