Datasheet for the Udoo x86 board?

Discussion in 'UDOO X86' started by jonthe838, Jun 11, 2016.

1. jonthe838

jonthe838 New Member

Hi doea anyone know if there is a datasheet with all of the specs and information of the Udoo x86 board? I want to plan a head a little bit and a datasheet with all the dimensions and everything would really help.

Skickat från min D6603 via Tapatalk

2. Laura

Laura UDOOer

3. Triodefreak

Triodefreak Active Member

Any freeware you can recommend on windows 10 that can render the model Laura?

4. FirstGenGeek

FirstGenGeek Member

@jonthe838 I don't think we'll see a datasheet until the product is near completion. If you are interested, I created a document consolidating everything published to-date. You can download a copy here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/oy4cghlhhvctolm/UDOO-X86 Kickstarter.pdf?dl=0

The beginning of the document is just the KS information, but the latter pages include some board specs, resource links, and component datasheet information.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2016
    Andrea Rovai likes this.
  5. Laura

Laura UDOOer

@Triodefreak, I use Sketchup, and to initially import the file, I used a plugin for importing Step files (had a free demo trial period, which has expired for me, so I cannot import Step files anymore :( ). Also, Sketchup is geared more towards architecture than highly technical component designs, so it ran rather slow on my PC until I stripped out most of the model. I only required the I/O locations.
    I think Blender (free open source) should be able to import the file - https://www.blender.org/

@FirstGenGeek Interested in reading your PDF file :) though unable to access, as the link will only work for you (not a public share link).

Andrea Rovai likes this.
  6. FirstGenGeek

FirstGenGeek Member

Andrea Rovai likes this.
  7. Laura

Laura UDOOer

Thanks for updating the link! I can view that one :D

8. Andrea Rovai

Andrea Rovai Well-Known Member

Gosh, you did a great work, @FirstGenGeek. It's a pleasure to know that UDOO X86 is raising so much interest. As soon as possible I'll share the datasheet!

Laura likes this.
  9. Andrea Rovai

Andrea Rovai Well-Known Member

10. Triodefreak

Nice. Thanks!

Andrea Rovai likes this.
  11. jonthe838

jonthe838 New Member

Last edited: Jun 15, 2016
    Andrea Rovai likes this.
  12. jonthe838

jonthe838 New Member

Sorry for double posting but, what I wanted to know, hence why I asked for a complete datasheet, is what how much power can the board handle? I know that the power adapter will supply 12V/3A which i guess is how much the board will draw at the most, but how much +/- can it handle?
    But how high voltage? +-0.5 of the 12v or is it strictly 12v? And how much current? I want to hook it up to a battery pack and since it will almost never be exactly 12v, depending on the charge, I would like to know what span I have to work with

13. Triodefreak

Yes indeed. I suppose there must be a regulator chip. Perhaps Udoo could tell us which one.

14. Laura

Laura UDOOer

@jonthe838 I'm hoping there'll be a way of providing power internally, though something like an ATX +12V P4 connector, or even via one of the GPIO header pins, allowing the addition of a custom shield for battery power regulation. With the enclosure I'm designing, I have allowed space for LiFePO4 batteries.

15. FirstGenGeek

FirstGenGeek Member

Last edited: Jun 16, 2016
  16. jonthe838

jonthe838 New Member

This was my plan as well. I've started ordering the parts for a project of mine and my plan was, if we can make the udoo x86 battery powered, to use the x86 on the go sort of like a miniature pc / tablet like device

17. FirstGenGeek

FirstGenGeek Member

I think the regulated 12v 3a battery power packs we discussed on another thread, with a standard 5.5x2.5mm barrel plug, is the best solution.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2016
  18. jonthe838

jonthe838 New Member

Yes so did I and after doing to research I pulled out my old text book from high school about physics and electrical engineering and realized that a 12v battery pack, almost never, delivers exactly 12v since it depends on how much it's charged. And I can't see anywhere that the packs we discussed nor any other packs are regulated.. They have overvoltage protection which means that they stop spikes of higher voltage from entering the device but I can't find anywhere that they are regulated. I've yet to find a regulated 12v power pack, that could deliver a constant 12v no matter the battery level, but if I could and/or depending on what the udoo x86 can handle in terms of voltage, then I would agree with you.

That's why I want to know what span of voltage etc. that the udoo x86 can handle without shutting down / being damaged by. So that I know if I can use a powerbank or not.

19. Laura

Laura UDOOer

Near the start of the Kickstarter campaign, I shared various ideas in the comments section. One was about adding an internal power connector like a P4 to the board. Another one was regarding PCIe to the M.2, which they're doing, so fingers crossed they saw and liked the other idea too :D

I'm going to regulate the battery power source, and hopefully also communicate battery status using the USB HID class for UPS battery power. I will post the circuit schematics in the UDOO forum before hooking it all up, just to double check I'm not going to blow anything up :eek:

jonthe838 likes this.
  20. FirstGenGeek

FirstGenGeek Member

The battery pack I linked to in the other thread has configurable 9v/12v/16v/20v outputs, which by definition means it is regulated. I do agree, however, we will need to know at what level below 12v the X86 board will just shut down. Since the Intel X86 CPUs use binary "is +12v" and "is not +12v" logic gate states, I don't think the UDOO X86 will have much tolerance with input voltage.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2016