Connecting Udoo to internet through Serial AT Commands

Discussion in 'UDOO QUAD' started by Ahmad Masri, Sep 29, 2016.

1. Ahmad Masri

Ahmad Masri New Member

I have the following 3G module to use with Udoo for 3G internet connectivity

https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-fona-3g-cellular-gps-breakout/overview

I would like to know how I would connect to the internet through Udoo, for example using Android and retrofit. I know i can send bidirectional data between arduino and udoo, but it is not quite obvious how to send network calls through arduino from Udoo.

Thanks

2. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

I think it has a serial interface, even USB. Why not connected it directly to the Android part with serial port or USB?
    I don't know how tho address the module then from Android as I don't know Android but it should be easier than going through the Arduino first.

Ahmad Masri likes this.
  3. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

Ahmad Masri likes this.
  4. Ahmad Masri

Ahmad Masri New Member

well, i may try that, but the issue is that i connect to the internet via the 3G modem by AT commands, i am not sure how to address this with android

5. Ahmad Masri

Ahmad Masri New Member

6. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

If I read the specifications I see that one of the features of the module you have is:
    Read "computer" = Udoo Quad. So your 3G module could perhaps be connected with USB and you can access it from Android with AT commands.

7. Ahmad Masri

Ahmad Masri New Member

But how would I use network call libraries as retrofit for example to use the internet ?

8. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

I suppose the module could act as a network device when mounted to the Udoo and you just have to do nothing special.
    It depends if the drivers of the Udoo will recognize your 3G module as a network device.