Booting from USB stick

Discussion in 'UDOO 101' started by jykm12, Nov 28, 2013.

1. jykm12

jykm12 New Member

Is it possible to boot from USB stick instead of SD card?

Would it be faster to boot from USB than SD? SD max rate is 10 MB/s.

2. firehopper

firehopper Member

from what I know, it might be possible eventually. but as of right now, you can only boot from the sd card, you can place the filesystem on the usb stick though, same as you can on the quads to put it on the sata drive..

its achieved the same way, getting to the uboot menu, and setting the root enviroment variable. and then saveenv

3. Lifeboat_Jim

Lifeboat_Jim New Member

As Fire says, boot from SD card only until further notice (but you can put the Filesystem/OS on SATA/USB etc).

SD isn't limited to 10MB/s, but the reasonably cheap cards (8GB UHS-I HC £4.50/€5/$7.50) do give you 18MB/s read & 7MB/s write... which is actually plenty for an enjoyable experience.

4. protious

protious New Member

Has there been any headway on booting from the USB. Am starting to get more interested in running the Udoo more and really would like to use my 64gb usb key instead of the MSD cards

5. andcmp

andcmp New Member

Same as before for the moment, you still need a microSD card for booting the board.

6. mkopack

mkopack Member

That being said, though, you CAN still set it up where you start the boot from the microSD (which should be completely read-only) and then have it kick over to a rootFS that is on a USB thumb drive.... Just set it up the same way that we do for the SATA drives...

7. Manuel Malagon

Manuel Malagon New Member

What is it that make the processor boot from SD?

Because I'm developing bare-metal code and I'd like to be able to boot from USB. I have no problems booting the bare-metal code from SD, I just was wondering how can I boot from USB because to be inserting and removing the SD could damage the slot.

Thanks!!

8. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

For a Udoo Dual/Quad perhaps you can change this procedure to USB instead of SATA.
    For a Neo this is not possible.

9. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

10. Manuel Malagon

That solution doesn't work for me because I'm developing bare-metal code for both the A9 and the M4. The reason I'm looking at the possibility of booting via USB is because I don't want to break the microSD card slot due to excessive insertion and removal of the memory.

11. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

Why does netbooting not work? On what OS is your A9 running (I don't completely understand the "bare metal" here)? If it is Linux you can add netboot to your image.
    Perhaps you better ask this on the NXP forum https://community.nxp.com/community/imx Here are most users working with the Udoo environment.

12. Manuel Malagon

Bare-Metal essentially means no OS, or in this case no Linux at all, nevertheless, we are planning on using an RTOS (threadX or FreeRTOS) so without Linux anything applying to Linux is going to work here.

I'm already participating in the i.MX6 Freescale community but I haven't received all the answers there, that is why I'm posting here as well because it allows me to reach a bigger user base. Maybe the i.MX community does not have the answers and here I can find help from another person that is not in the Freescale community.

13. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

Andrea Rovai likes this.
  14. Del

Del New Member

The X86 is hyped as a 'normal' PC. Selecting the order of available boot devices is a configurable thing for every PC I have work with. Usually holding down one of the function keys while booting gets you to a menu for this and other configuration functions. Guess that isn't available on the UDOO X86? It would be nice to be able to boot from a USB drive.