Android + GSM Shield [UDOO NEO]

Discussion in 'Android' started by rfcx, Dec 24, 2016.

1. rfcx

rfcx New Member

We are using the UDOO NEO, and recently purchased a GSM/GPRS shield (see here), with the goal of integrating it into the network stack.

We are a non-profit that develops headless Android devices and places them in trees in the rainforest to stop illegal deforestation and poaching (https://rfcx.org if you're interested). We currently use donated cell phones, but we are investigating using the UDOO NEO integrated with GSM capabilities to replace the phones entirely.

Has anyone successfully used a GSM shield with Android on the UDOO NEO? Ideally, it would be integrated such that our existing Android apps can simply make network requests as normal, and Android will take care of sending the data to the GSM module.

I'm assuming we're going to have to hack on the low-level network drivers to re-route data to the shield over serial and use the AT command set, but if there's an easier way, we'd love to know!

Cheers!

2. jas-mx

jas-mx Active Member

I haven't tested under Android, however have tested a SIM800L under linux on the NEO and its fairly easy to integrate, its a matter of allocating and using a serial and configuration the network stack. So I'm not expecting it to be too difficult under Android although there may some work in setting up a data connection. What may be more challenging is the power usage of the NEO + GSM module for battery operation depending on your power source. There is the potential to optimise the whole software stack to minimise power usage. Send me a PM and I'll try to help you out.

rfcx and waltervl like this.
  3. rfcx

rfcx New Member

@jas-mx

Fantastic, thanks! I'll send you a PM. Definitely concerned about power usage!

4. kjngwjtch

kjngwjtch New Member

I'm very supportive of your project :)
    Good luck to you!

5. Jaynil

Jaynil UDOOer

is there any updates on this topic?
    how can i connect GSM to UDOO-neo??
    regards,
    jaynil

6. Jaynil

Jaynil UDOOer

can i know how did you integrate it with linux on NEO?
    thanks,
    jaynil

7. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

You can use the linux side (google for Raspberry PI GSM module for examples) or the Arduino side (google for Arduino GSM Module for examples). When using Arduino you can use the Neo build in Serial port to communicate from Arduino to Linux if neccesary.

8. Jaynil

Jaynil UDOOer

okay, thank you so much
    i will go through it