UDOO Xtreme ;)

Discussion in 'UDOO X86' started by Krzysztof Piotrowski, Dec 25, 2016.

1. Laura

Laura UDOOer

@Gery I do understand where you are coming from. Having the option of an MXM slot would've been a nice bonus, however, the Intel Braswell SoC only provides a four lane PCIe bus, which is less than the sixteen that high end GPUs would like. Providing a limited MXM slot would have created a performance expectation from users that would not be possible to deliver.

I'm interested in CUDA processing, so for the last few months I've been reading various books about PCI Express system architecture, to see if I can work out a way of routing the PCIe bus efficiently from the M.2 slot to an MXM slot on a PCB. One of the issues I've been facing, is that a lot of the technical information is held by the PCI-SIG (special interest group) who require membership to view, priced yearly at over $4,000 :eek:

Another issue is my work space environment makes it hard to complete tasks, but I am working on solving that. Might end up sneaking into the fab lab where UDOO are based :D

2. Gery

Gery New Member

Thanks Laura :)

3. Gery

Gery New Member

4. Laura

Laura UDOOer

5. Gery

Gery New Member

shit, and that thought went into the trash.

6. Maximino Reyes

Maximino Reyes New Member

There is an option you may not aware of, I'm talking about the Snickerdoodle from Krtkl:

"A palm-sized, reconfigurable Linux computer that connects to the real world: ARM + FPGA + Wi-Fi + Bluetooth + 180 I/O"

We are planning use a cluster of 4 * Udoo X86 Ultra boards ( already preordered) with a Snickerdoodle Black with piSmasher SBC and two giggleBits sDN Card for a suitable Udoo Xtreme Cluster ;-). Our goal is design a Hardware Reference Design based on Open Hardware & Software for a Mixed Reality Metaverse Portal.

Black Mirror Project

"A Hardware Implementation of a Experimental Device for Research on Interactive Telepresence and Collaboration Tools based on JanusVR Portals"

More information on the comming days because I need to translate to english about nearly 180 pages of documentation from the thesis on software architecture and prior prototypes but already you can sniff what are we doing and technologies we are using with the posted links and tags.

Feel free to check the next updates and join the conversation because is intendend to be a collective effort. We will be realising all the schematics and source code for anyone would replicate the system on their own at least on every Hackerspace on the world and join us on the Metaverse.

BetaMax

Andrea Rovai and waltervl like this.
  7. Laura

Laura UDOOer

Welcome to the forum @Maximino Reyes :)
    That's a very interesting project you've got going on there! Also, a perturbing name :eek:

Maximino Reyes likes this.
  8. Andrea Rovai

Andrea Rovai Well-Known Member

@Maximino Reyes Welcome to the forum! Also, you're project seems a blast! But I'm not sure I totally got it: is your goal to build an alternate reality? Is this any similar to Hololens or Magic Leap?

9. Maximino Reyes

Maximino Reyes New Member

We could say that they could be both and none of them. First our project started when in April of 2015, Jules Urbach CEO and cofounder of OTOY with Oculus CTO John Carmack, has announced the "Render the Metaverse" contest that aims to get the community involved in generating immersive 360-degree panoramas using their software suite.

http://www.roadtovr.com/render-metaverse-contest-otoy-john-carmack-signs-judge/

But we realized that certain technical, economic, practical and even philosophical details were lacking in how the virtual reality industry was presenting and driving the adaptation of virtual reality technology to the world. Especially in how to get the content, virtual reality equipment (HMDs) and the networks used to do this made the largest amount of public possible, to a certain extent we are promoting the democratization of technology in the least intrusive, economically sustainable, Natural, safe and comfortable for the rest of the community of developers and users of this new medium of communication and digital exchange space, especially on issues of Interactive Telepresence and Collaboration Tools.

From there I was involved in the development of a Open Source Cloud for Real-Time Multimedia Comunications platform using concepts such as, Software Defined Networking, Super Scalability, WebRTC, Computer Vision, Augmenting Reality and Multisensory Multimedia to build an Interactive Telepresence Service based on the project Nubomedia and its Kurento Media Server Engine.

http://www.nubomedia.eu/ http://www.kurento.org/

But then we realized that we needed to reinterpret the graphic representation of the content we were transmitting and adapt our technology to the Virtual Reality system and that's when we met JanusVR and its intent to build a comprehensive ways to construct content for JanusVR, especially JanusWEB is the webGL/webVR version of JanusVR.

http://www.janusvr.com/

From there we started with a more open concept in designing a Hardware Reference Design platform based on Open Hardware and Software that anyone could build and be able to use our tools to build a device suitable for public or private use for many people as possible. Then in the middle of last year came a momentum in the development of the glTF format that could convey the content in a much more efficient and agnostic way of the tools used to create it using open standards:

https://uploadvr.com/john-carmack-metaverse-gltf/

http://www.roadtovr.com/rendering-metaverse-otoys-volumetric-lightfield-streaming/

Although I could spend more time explaining the rest, I would rather spend more time filling Hackaday's profile with explanatory articles on each of the key points in the history of our development as well as the components and technologies we are using. I could answer your question by saying that we are looking for a new concept far from the huge device connected to your head like the Hololens or other HMD, or even some over-estimated mixed reality lenses that are still attached to a obscure black box for processing and display.

Un saluto a tutti.

BetaMax

Andrea Rovai likes this.
  10. Krzysztof Piotrowski

Krzysztof Piotrowski New Member

Hi BetaMax,

very interesting project!

best,
    Krzysztof