spdif out

Discussion in 'UDOO X86' started by Triodefreak, Mar 22, 2017.

1. Triodefreak

Triodefreak Active Member

Is it coax or toslink?

2. Laura

Laura UDOOer

I believe it's routed to the TRRS (Tip Ring Ring Sleeve) audio jack

3. Triodefreak

Thanks again Laura.

Laura likes this.
  4. GourouLubrik

GourouLubrik New Member

Edit:
    I forgot that there are optical + trrs combo connector, so I guess it's optical mini toslink output :)

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
  5. Triodefreak

Looks like we'll just have to wait and see. Though that would be the obvious choice. Just like the Chromecast Audio.

6. Laura

Laura UDOOer

There's no optical out as far as I'm aware. Just the coaxial SPDIF connection on the TRRS jack, and most likely via a header pin as well.

If you require optical output, you can either get an adapter like: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cable-Mountain-Digital-Coaxial-Converter/dp/B001U7GW68 (though not this particular one, just using as an example of a converter).
    Or make a shield with an optical transmitter on it. There seems to be a range of these on distributor websites like Mouser and Digikey, though I'm not sure how you would choose a particular model, so will not link to any particular one.

Edited to add: I vaguely remember reading the jack and a header pin will expose SPDIF. I cannot find where it was mentioned for the jack, but for the header, it's mentioned in the following linked comment: https://www.kickstarter.com/project...ver/comments?cursor=13755409#comment-13755408

7. GourouLubrik

GourouLubrik New Member

The thing is, like my edited posted stated first, you cannot have coaxial spdif through a TRRS jack.
    Since the TRRS output of the udoo x86 is a stereo output + microphone input, pinout of the TRRS is Left / Right / Ground / Microphone
    there is no pin left for a coaxial output. And you don't really want to mux spdif ouput and microphone input...

If you plug a 3 pins headphones or cable, you'd have a 0.5v-pp squared wave signal right to the ground !
    So no, I don't believe it's the good answer. If it is, i'd be a bad design :/

8. Laura

Laura UDOOer

@GourouLubrik For the coaxial jack, the switching between the microphone and SPDIF will be configured by the user through the operating systems sound playback options.
    If you prefer a dedicated non switchable SPDIF output, I'd suggested using the header pin.

As your knowledge of audio is much better than mine, please share in the forum what you discover about the audio when we start receiving the boards. I would like to learn more on this topic :)

GourouLubrik likes this.
  9. GourouLubrik

GourouLubrik New Member

I found out that camcorders used TRRS to 3 RCA in order to pass composite video + stereo. It would do the job.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    But the color scheme would be wrong in our case.
    Spdif would be the red one, right would be the yellow and left white one.

Maybe the udoo team could stock few cable of this type for those who whould like to use s/pdif without much hassle ?

About reporting, yeah, I will,
    My project with udoo will have an audio side, but... I'm not sure yet of what i'll do exactly, I guess the s/pdif output would be of good use.
    My final project will probably imply this already done "DIY" stuff (quoting the DIY, because it's not my design, just soldering and/or plugin things together): https://goo.gl/photos/RzHv5Swwrk3Y2r2L9
    DAC: Soekris dam1021 r2r modded rev 1 with normundss rev1.1 input board. powered by a Diyinhk bipolar 12v PSU.
    Amanero 384 usb to i2s interface (hidden under the input board)
    Headphoner amplifier: opc the wire bal bal (in SE-BAL mode), powered by 2 opc the wire psu)

Laura likes this.
  10. Triodefreak

Cool...another diy audio person. :)
    For my main system I have the dddac connected with hifiberry digi+pro through i2s. Picoreplayer running on the rpi.

11. GourouLubrik

GourouLubrik New Member

In fact, everything was already documented :)
    https://udooboard.github.io/X86-Docs/Hardware_Reference/Pinout_Braswell.html

This image show that spdif out is pin 47 on CN12 - if comes directly from Realtek ALC, it should be TTL level, not consumer level, so it would need something like a murata (DA101C) transformer and few resistors to galvanically isolate it and set it to consumer spdif level
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
  12. Andrea Rovai

Andrea Rovai Well-Known Member

It is not routed to the TRRS (Tip Ring Ring Sleeve) audio jack as suggested by Laura.
    The spdif is exposed on pin 47 of the external pinout. By using this pin together with a ground pin you can connect an RCA or toslink female connector.

ektor5 and GourouLubrik like this.
  13. GourouLubrik

GourouLubrik New Member

Thanks for the update, so it's TTL level (3.3v), not consumer level (0.5Vp-p) ?

14. Andrea Rovai

Andrea Rovai Well-Known Member

The external pinout logic is 1.8v.
    This is an example of how to connect the spdif out to a toslink connector.
    unnamed.png
    We will add it to the documentation.

Laura and GourouLubrik like this.
  15. GourouLubrik

GourouLubrik New Member

damn, it's not usual to see 1.8v logic level for spdif. I wonder if it will compatible with all usual transceiver or module.

good old (and obsolete) TOTX147 doesn't seem to like < 2.1v logic as per datasheet.

16. Sjonno

Sjonno New Member

Anyone who has connected a toslink output onto the X86 yet who can confirm if this works?
    My audio set only has optical in, so by using that I can prevent having to buy a receiver with HDMI ;-)

17. ccs_hello

ccs_hello UDOOer

It needs
    (1) Toslink E-to-O transmitter module w/ driver (3.3V TTL input compatible), e.g.,
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/5pcs-Toslin...nal-16-Mbps-TTL-Compatible-Jack-/122531023964
    5pcs $7.44 shipped

(2) TXB0108 1.8V to 3.3V voltage level shifter module, e.g.,
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/8-Channel-8...rter-Module-TXB0108-for-Arduino-/141976894663
    1 pcs $1.03 shipped

UDOO x86's SPDIF output is in electrical (1.8V ULV TTL) format, straight out of Braswell SoC.
    Optical SPDIF suitable for fiber optics cable is in "optical" format.

(2) does 1.8V --> 3.3V signal conversion
    (1) does electrical to optical conversion (with its built-in driver to drive the LED)

ccs_hello

LDighera, Sjonno and waltervl like this.
  18. ccs_hello

ccs_hello UDOOer

Coaxial version (a single RCA jack) of the SPDIF:
    http://sound.whsites.net/p85-f6.gif

Note the diagram assumes 5V TTL thus 5V TTL part is used.
    Now that Braswell is 1.8V ULV level, an adjustment on the buffer circuit is required.

19. Paede

Paede New Member

To confirm:
    I need part nr.2 (logic level shifter) to connect the udoo x86 to a logitech Z-5500 coax spdif input?

20. ccs_hello

ccs_hello UDOOer

For COAX version of SPDIF, under the Braswell's 1.8V output signal level,
    I'd recommend this design with the following changes:
    http://radiopages.ru/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/spdif_c.gif

IC will be SN74LVC04 (to make it 1.8V friendly) and
    use supply voltage of 1.8V Vcc (not the 5V as in that picture.)
    ccs_hello

LDighera likes this.